Buying a MacBook

Reaction score
Hello...

I am looking at the entry level Macbook as my first Mac. I am going to have to dual boot it with XP since I need VPN for work....question: what will XP see as the graphics card? Can it play graphics heavy games?

Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
the macbook has 64megs of shared video memory. This cannot be upgraded and you will not be able to play any graphic intense games that require lots of 3D rendering. People have gotten Doom 3 and possibly Half Life 2 to run but on the very lowest of settings.

OP
G
Reaction score
the macbook has 64megs of shared video memory. This cannot be upgraded and you will not be able to play any graphic intense games that require lots of 3D rendering. People have gotten Doom 3 and possibly Half Life 2 to run but on the very lowest of settings.

Wow...thanks for the quick response...I do mainly need it for work but also wanted to get into a Mac finally (don't own a laptop as of now.) Would still like the option to fire up a good game now and then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Correction with the games. I dual boot and can run HL2 on highest graphics. It very rarely gets laggy. Half life 2 episode 1 runs ok as well. I haven't tried Doom 3, but I have tried Command and Conquer 3, Flatout 2, Battle Realms, Counter Strike (and most other HL2 oriented games) and they all run wonderfully. CNC 3 runs a little slow, but I also have it on high graphics. I'm sure if I lowered them it'd be fine. Hope this helps.

Trent out

OP
G
Reaction score
Correction with the games. I dual boot and can run HL2 on highest graphics. It very rarely gets laggy. Half life 2 episode 1 runs ok as well. I haven't tried Doom 3, but I have tried Command and Conquer 3, Flatout 2, Battle Realms, Counter Strike (and most other HL2 oriented games) and they all run wonderfully. CNC 3 runs a little slow, but I also have it on high graphics. I'm sure if I lowered them it'd be fine. Hope this helps.

Trent out

Well, I plan on using the Mac side of it more for video and surfing but need the XP side for VPN and yes, to play a game now and then...:)

Thanks for the info...this is the only thing holding me back from the MAC is the graphics for the XP boot...thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if CS:S runs on the macbook? I know CS 1.6 does...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.