Network printing issues

Reaction score
Very strange problem I have with my Mac,

I can print to local USB printers no problems with any size files, I tested with a 20k .doc file and a 1mb and 60mb PDF documents. When trying to print to any other printer which is on the network (NOT a shared network printer) the 20k word document prints fine but both of the PDF files just sit there and will not print. However both of these files print almost instantly sent from a Dell PC to the same printers.

Any ideas?

Mac specs:

Apple Mac G4
MAC OSX Tiger V10.4.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
It sounds like it has something to do with the print queue or spooler. I don't know what type of printer you are sending this to, but if the printer doesn't have enough memory to store the file, it may not be able to handle the larger documents. Whereas when you print to it locally, I'm guessing that the Mac knows it has to handle the print spool as opposed to just sending it all the printer at once.

That's just a bit of a guess as I'm a Mac newb myself, so I'm really only familiar with the Windows side of things at this point.

OP
C
Reaction score
I assumed it might be to do with this but was unsure what needs checking/changing. The 3 printers tested with are all very different, a Xerox DC240, a HP LJ 4050 and a HP LJ 2550.

I cant see it being a printer problem as a PC sending the same document prints it out within a few seconds, where as the Mac takes 30 minutes to print the same 4.6mb pdf file.

There must be a setting on the Mac somewhere to enable it to spool the network printer jobs properly... with my very limited Mac knowledge I didnt see any such options when installing a new printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I'm not sitting in front of my Mac at the moment, but there may be settings for the printer that determine how the jobs are sent or spooled. That would be my guess as far as where to look for fixing the issues. Or possibly if you tell a page to print, in the configuration window that pops up and lets you adjust settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.