a virus?

Reaction score
hello. new user here.

i think i may have a virus. i don't know though. i was surfing myspace and a friend had posted a bulletin about a virus. or at least i think it was her. i stupidly clicked on it and now my computer's voiceover utility won't shut off. earlier, i couldn't sign off of yahoo messenger and i couldn't reboot. there are some double entries under the apple menu. all that's showing up under the system folder is library. i can't remember if anything is supposed to be there. i'm running clamxav now. any suggestions??! thanks!

i have 10.4.9.

OP
D
Reaction score
i manually shut off voiceover and i think things are ok. but why would it turn itself on like that? i didnt hit command F5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Macs do not get viruses. Remember that 99.9% of viruses are just PC programs and usually depend on the Windows Registry and flaws in Internet Explorer to run.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to catch keys. You might have touched F5 when you pressed 5 or 6.

Reaction score
OFF: (sometimes one can get bored of this blind propaganda of making macs *supernatural*)
PCs don't get viruses either :) it is only a piece of different hardware, software that run on them and particularly Windows based do get viruses, and mostly this is because Windows and its Platform SDK was deigned in a way for this to happen, one of the reasons from a bunchof them being that someone has to be able to make more money by selling antiviruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Macs do not get viruses. Remember that 99.9% of viruses are just PC programs and usually depend on the Windows Registry and flaws in Internet Explorer to run.
To clarify:

Yes, there are currently no viruses for OS X.
Yes, the vast majority of viruses are written to infect Windows.
However, the statement that "Macs do not get viruses" is false. Macs (and ANY computer for that matter) are perfectly capable of getting a virus.
NO computer is completely immune to such attacks.
It is extremely misleading for new Mac users to say that Macs don't get viruses. The fact is that there just aren't any viruses for Mac OS X.... not the same thing as saying they can't get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wait a minute! Are you saying the iGarlic-bulb modem dongle I bought doesn't do anything?

Well, it smells bad, but other than that.....

MMMMMMMMM.....Garlic......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I love some shrimp scampi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
NO computer is completely immune to such attacks.
It is extremely misleading for new Mac users to say that Macs don't get viruses. The fact is that there just aren't any viruses for Mac OS X.... not the same thing as saying they can't get them.

6 years of OS X and not a single virus out there, along with hardly anyone running any kind of anti virus software is good enough in my book to say 'Macs do not get viruses'.

To quote Apple themselves
114,000 viruses? Not on a Mac.
Mac OS X was designed for high security, so it isn’t plagued by constant attacks from viruses and malware like PCs. Likewise, it isn’t plagued by never-ending security dialog boxes like those in Vista. So you can safely go about your work — or play — without interruption.

'Not on a Mac' and 'safely go about' being the key phrases here.

You can say the sun is not necessarily going to come up tomorrow, just because it has done in the past, but I think it's safe to say it will do so. It's the same situation here. Never say never, but for all intents and purposes, Macs do not get viruses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.