5G iPod + car integration issue

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this issue, but I'd appreciate your feedback if you have any ideas.

I had a 20GB 4G iPod Photo that I used with an Audiolink iPod integration adapter for my 2006 Mazda6 Wagon. The Audiolink connects to the CD changer port on the back of my factory Bose audio system and allows me to control the iPod through both the steering wheel controls as well as the CD changer controls on the stereo. This setup functioned flawlessly with the 20GB iPod Photo and all was well until I gave my wife the older iPod and bought a 5G 30GB Video.

Now, when I turn on the car, the iPod almost never comes out of pause mode. I usually have to toggle between radio and CD changer to get the iPod to play or press the play button on the iPod (this is a pain because I have to dig the iPod out of my glovebox). Also, on occasion, I find the iPod locks up and is completely non-responsive even after I unplug the dock connector. If I let it sit for a few hours, it will usually become responsive again and work normally again. I also found that if I did a hard reset on the iPod, (press and hold the menu button and the center button for a few seconds) it works just fine.

I've tried doing a restore on the iPod, made sure I'm using the latest firmware updates and even checked the product information for the Audiolink adapter to confirm that it does work with 5G iPods.

Do you think I have a defective iPod or are there any other tricks to getting a locked up iPod functioning without having to do a cold reset?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hmm, i was going to say that you should check the firmware, because I have no problems running my ipod through an ipod adapter for my mustang, and its the same kind of set up. I would say your best bet would be to take it to the apple store and tell them your problems. I believe it is probably a defective ipod an has nothing to do with incompatibility (bose makes ipod products and your previous ipod worked).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Yeah...
I kinda agree with PowerBookG4, plus u can go on the Mazda Website they might have some suggestions on a different setup for the newer Generation iPod.

Hope u can find a resolution, Good Luck

Mina

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.