Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
rman said:
I have an Mac SE30 that is running OS 7.5.5 and working fine with it. I also have a G3 that is running OS X 10.1.5 just fine. My wife's iBook is running OS X 10.1.5 and she is okay with it. One day I will upgrade it. My Ti PowerBook is running OS X 10.3.3 with no problems. Of my four system three don't need to be upgraded. On my system I tend to install the latest and greatest, since I am a system administrator.
It's things like this that make me smile every time I think of Apple and Mac OS -- I really wanna get a low end Mac at say, OS 7 - 8 or so just to have it... This is all I'm doing with my pc running naught but Linux Red Hat :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
nicholas said:
Apple needs to learn a thing or two from Microsoft when it comes to this...
"Innovation never sleeps?" Please, more like "we're going to add a couple useless tweaks to your OS and make you dish out another Benjamin."

Apple didn't "make" anyone upgrade to Panther. Jaguar is still a perfectly functional and well-supported version of OS X, but many people were willing to spend the money for Panther's various benefits, which, though some are small or minor, are still far more than you listed. The fact that Panther runs faster than Jaguar on most people's machines would probably be worth the upgrade all by itself to some. Oh, and I can only hope that Apple never learns anything from M$.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
Really... and longhorn planning a bloat-o-matic system MEGA hog 6 - 7 ghz just to run??? That is so dismal they may as well quit the whole idea altogether! But that's just my 2 cents!
Soon, OS X will need that much to run. As well as Linux, ect. ect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Heh. Well not nearly so soon, and not for the same reasons

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Absolute Zero said:

Looking at other unix favors, I don't think Mac OS X will become that bloated.

J

jerodhusvar

OT: Linux

Absolute Zero said:
I don't believe that Linux will ever need the same "horsepower" to run as Winblows. My father runs Redhat 9 on a Dell GxPro 180 with 256mb of RAM. He runs GNOME quite well and has quit using his XP machine for anything except for QuickBooks Pro.

I run RH9 on an IBM Thinkpad 390e, which is a Pentium II 300mhz with 128mb of RAM. I also run in GNOME quite well and have no performance issuess.

Finally, I run 10.2.8 on an iMac 333mhz with 288mb of RAM. It's a little slow starting up, but once it gets going it runs just fine. And it's used quite often with Photoshop 7.

It's all a matter of perception, I guess.

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, and 'nix architecture is simply more efficient and doz bloz is being uber retro fitted to fix its faulty design and useless security :rolleyes:

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
We don't even know if Longhorn will require 4-6 GHz. It's a rumor.

N

nicholas

In terms of updates coming out every six months as I said earlier, I stand corrected. My bad. It wasn't quite so often, but still too often. To me it's not the money that's the issue. I want one OS to last years for the simple fact that it's just way too much hassle to constantly install a new OS onto your mac. More hassle than people have time for.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nicholas said:
In terms of updates coming out every six months as I said earlier, I stand corrected. My bad. It wasn't quite so often, but still too often. To me it's not the money that's the issue. I want one OS to last years for the simple fact that it's just way too much hassle to constantly install a new OS onto your mac. More hassle than people have time for.

So if you are happy with the current revision of the OS, why upgrade? You can sit at the current level along as you like. Also note; as you know as the OS is upgraded old hardware is left behind, because it will not run the latest version. I look at my beige G3 powermac, it is running OS X 10.1.5. I don't have any problems with it. I have jaguar and panther, but i will not load it with either, because I believe I will not be happy with the performance.

The major upgrades that are paid upgrades (i.e. 10.0; 10.1; 10.2; and 10.3), whereas the incremental upgrades which are free (i.e. 10.0.x; 10.1.x; 10.2.x; and 10.3.x).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
rman said:
So if you are happy with the current revision of the OS, why upgrade? You can sit at the current level along as you like. Also note; as you know as the OS is upgraded old hardware is left behind, because it will not run the latest version. I look at my beige G3 powermac, it is running OS X 10.1.5. I don't have any problems with it. I have jaguar and panther, but i will not load it with either, because I believe I will not be happy with the performance.

The major upgrades that are paid upgrades (i.e. 10.0; 10.1; 10.2; and 10.3), whereas the incremental upgrades which are free (i.e. 10.0.x; 10.1.x; 10.2.x; and 10.3.x).
I think this way too... and just to toss in this: many doz users never went to xpee -- even running 98! :p

N

nicholas

Ya, my 400Mhz PC runs 98 too cause Win 2000 or XP crashes all the time. So since Tiger is coming, have they announced any new or neat features it will have? Since I can't stop the updates from coming, I might as well embrace them and try to get excited about them hahaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What I'll say to that is - it's sure to be way more worth while then anything that might be anounced in the longworm OOOPS releases :p

R

RobDreugan

It would almost seem like each of these new versions are like ... unfinished thoughts that they keep releasing. It might make more sense from a programming stand point to spend more time making a "fuller" version of the OS, but unfortunately from a buisness perspective they're making the right move.

I will however wait when it does come out, as I'm perfectly happy with panther atm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
anyone happen to have a link with more details? ( i hate to search :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Graphite said:
anyone happen to have a link with more details? ( i hate to search :) )
One for Tiger Here's one if you're looking for M$ Yuk it up, beware the M$ trolls! They are everywhere this week imagine that! :p

N

nicholas

RobDreugan said:
It would almost seem like each of these new versions are like ... unfinished thoughts that they keep releasing. It might make more sense from a programming stand point to spend more time making a "fuller" version of the OS, but unfortunately from a buisness perspective they're making the right move.

Werd.

N

Nightblade

Hmm, so, like myself, we seem to have a few G3 users on this forum. However, no one has brought up the concern that, and it definitely is possible, 10.4 (Tiger) won't run on G3s. Because, Apple is phasing out stuff for the G3s. Here's the profile for my computer:

Hardware

Machine Model: iMac
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.19f1

Software

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.3 (7F44)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.3.0

Hmm, I'm really concerned myself. If 10.4 doesn't come out for G3s, it's not just "oh well". 10.3.3 is a great operating system, but we all know that once 10.4 comes out it won't be long until few things are made for 10.3 anymore. A few months ago I upgraded to 10.3 from 10.1.5, and it was a GOOD thing I did. That's because, besides Panther being incredibly superior to 10.1.5, few things are made for 10.1.5 anymore, and I would have been much more limited in terms of software than I am now.

Anyway, my point is, are any other G3 users concerned as I am? Or, can anyone put my fears to rest and give a good reason why you think that 10.4 WILL work on G3s?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
no give it time, the G3 will not be lost yet. They only just recently dropped them from the current line up. give it another few years. but very true, eventually they wil phase it out.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for example, let's say that OS X 10.4 will only run on G4 hardware or later. Is that a problem for the G3s. No, it is not a problem. What ever is running on the G3 will still work. As I have stated before, if you need the latest and great software you will then need to upgrade your hardware. I have a Mac SE/30 that is running fine with OS 7.5.5. It may not work with the latest software, but it is still usable with the software that was designed for it.

Just like windows 3.1, none of todays software will run on it.

Don't worry, as long as the hardware is doing what you want it to do you don't have a problem to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.