Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yup, agree with rman. but, the g3 ibook was only just this past year discontinued.

N

Nightblade

Yeah, I guess you're right...But I think on the internet, I have seen free software downloads that are exclusively for 10.3.3. People sometimes discontinue versions of programs for OS X that are below Jaguar and sometimes even Panther. For example, MSN Messenger 4 for Mac OS X was just released. I remember that the system requirements for MSN Messenger 3.5 for Mac OS X were 10.0.3 or something like that. The system requirements for the new MSN Messenger 4 are 10.2.8 (with 10.3.3 being recommended)! So, if Microsoft decides to keep updating MSN Messenger for Mac, then eventually there will be a version for OS X that requires Tiger. But the reason this is bad is because, when a newer version of MSN Messenger for a particular operating system is released, Micorosft prevents the older versions from being opened (well, you can't connect the server when you open the program) within a few months of the newer version's release. That means that, if I still have this computer within a few months, I will have no choice but to downdate to MSN Messenger 2.5 for Mac OS 9 (since OS 9 and OS X are considered different operating systems, but 10.3 and 10.4 are both considered to be part of OS X, I think). But, that probably won't be for a while, anyway, since Tiger hasn't even been previewed yet! The conference isn't even for over a month! So, I've still got a lot of time left...And besides, as Graphite said, it's a good possibility that Tiger WILL run on a G3! I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed....

M

Matt

Panther ran better on G3's than Jaguar! So what makes you thing that it could make the system slower than Jaguar???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, I have good reason to believe most G3s will be supported. iBook for sure. But don't expect anything spectacular from 10.5 :)

S

StealthMode

Sounds good to me! Looks like we'll have another OS released before LH releases for windows :p Apple just keeps innovating, everone else plays catch up it seems. I can't wait for Tiger :D

Stealth -

Reaction score
it does last forever

nicholas said:
In terms of updates coming out every six months as I said earlier, I stand corrected. My bad. It wasn't quite so often, but still too often. To me it's not the money that's the issue. I want one OS to last years for the simple fact that it's just way too much hassle to constantly install a new OS onto your mac. More hassle than people have time for.

Well if you want OS X 10.3 to last years just keep it in your computer and don't upgrade, it could even last forever in your computer
Also don't check apple news on new OS updates and you won't even notice there is any

N

natey

Tiger, I think, would be best optomized for the G5 line. Panther is great for G4, so, you may not want to upgrade to Tiger unless you have a G5 system. I don't think that there's going to be a larger difference other than the G5-64bit enabled Tiger OS, and a few other features, designed around the G5 platform.

Just as Panther took advantage of the G4, I think Tiger will take advantage of the G5. Simple as that.

I also figure that Tiger will take more advantage of cross-platforming. Microsoft is coming out with a virtual PC that takes advantage of the G5, and, I'm sure Tiger will be desigend to run smoothy with the New virtual PC. It's all gearred towards the G5.

Longhorn is designed to take advantage of 64bit technology -- the chips are out, but they are expensive, and nothing in windows takes advantage it, yet. It isn't coming out for a while; mostly because there isn't a high demand of users rushing out to get 64Bit xeon chips, or intels dual core hyperthreading thingamajjig.

Apple is far ahead in having G5's and now Tiger -- Microsoft may not launch longhorn until 2006. Mircorsoft they could launch longhorn this year, but again, there's the lack of 64bit PC machines...thus the lack of demand.

Apple has G5 sales, so there's a demand to sell a OS that'll really use the G5 core more completly than Panther. G4, however, is still popular, and it's selling more than the G5's, because of cost. So, I think Panther will still be around, and still be supported. Tiger will probably work on the G4, but you wont be using Tiger for all it's worth until you've got G5.

I say, G4 is good for normal stuff. G5 is good for high-end stuff; like, if your heavy into video/graphics encoding, use a G5. G5 has a big punch, but the average user hardly uses those punches, yet.

And windows, it may not have a lot of punches (not as much as apple), but is sure has a lot of blue screens.

I switched earlier this year, and I haven't gone back. I gave away my PC, actually. I have virtual PC, too, but I never use it.

My G4 powerbook is good for me, and I'm sure that I'm not using all of what G4 has to offer. But, it works and it runs, and I don't have to fiddle around forever trying to get the computer to work. I turn it on, and I do what I need to do.

Plus, I love to laugh when my friends (window users) have yet another crash, or have yet another virus (like the sasser). I like it when they come on over, and gawk at my screen -- my big wide screen on my Powerbook. The speed, and the smooth operation of the OS. And when they see what apple can really do, and what they can't do.

I think it's funny, everytime I hear someone say that macs suck -- I ask them why, and they think that a mac is like an atari. Then, I pull out my Powerbook and show them my fancy atari.

After that, they want an apple too.

--nate :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Absolute Zero said:
Win2k to WinXP was a $300 move. Was it really worth it?
Oh yeah! Fun fruity colors!

Even as a hater of Windows I can still say that you're way off base there.

Windows XP was an enormous improvement over Windows 2000. Aside from the absurd driver database improvement, as well as the addition of wireless capability, Windows XP added the 9x compatability layer so that you can run more software under the NT kernel (mainly games and OpenGL based apps). Multiple communications capabilities were added, as well as an entire suite of hidden security services and network admin tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The stability issues are still a major problem and the worm vulnerabilty a disaster. Longhorn is in deep do - do but that's just what I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I had it first :cool: :p

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
You just have to bring back this thread don't you? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
trpnmonkey41 said:
10.1 October 01
10.2 November 02
10.3 September 03

How is that 100 bucks twice a year?

he was being sarcastic

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
aantoine90 said:
he was being sarcastic
You just had to bring this thread back didn't you? :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.