copying mac hd's

Z

zamball

Has any one copied a G4 HD that is usable? I tried using carbon copy but it gave me kernel errors and it would not be seen as a bootable drive even after i chceked the box for it. Is there any way to do it using disk utility or drive copy?

thanks
mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Simple copies don't work as you know, but Disk images do, it has to be done carefully

OP
Z

zamball

how do I do a disk image with out errors? I get lots of errors when the drive is almost done? I believe one was a kernal error and the rest are installed software errors.

Thanks
Mike

OP
Z

zamball

what about carbon copy? that is the software i get errors in towards the end. The disk image always crashes when I scroll up or down on the page or even open any thing on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My bro has successfuly made a bootable disk image -- I'll e-mail him for the steps he used

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Disk images in OS X aren't bootable except using some complex methods over a network. What you really want to do is to partition an external Firewire drive and simply clone the OS to one of the partitions (such that you still have another partition for more permanent data. You will want to periodically clone the OS for backup purposes, but in the process the partition hosting the backed up OS is erased in its entirety.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.