Scratches everywhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM
I just took a close look at the top of my 2 week old Macbook and found scratches all over the place. Some pretty deep too. The only explanation is the cloth I've been using to wipe the Macbook clean or my sister.

I've been using this cloth.

psp_cloth.jpg

It comes with the PSP, and it doesn't feel like a rough cloth. Could this scratch a Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Umm, there's no picture or link...

The white Macbooks are glossy just like the PSP, so if the latter isn't being scratched by it, then I would have to say your sister is the culprit :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Bonk.

I have the Black MacBook, its about 3 weeks old, and I actually use the Same MicroFiber towel that comes with the PSP to wipe it down and keep it squeaky clean. and there are no scratches on mine.

I'd have to agree with Kash that the sister might be the culprit sorry :D :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
MinMacMan, you have to keep in mind that the white and black Macbooks are made with different materials. The white Macbook has a glossy coating whereas the black Macbook has a matte finish. So while you won't see as many fingerprints on the white Macbook as you do on the black on, you'll end up noticing scratches more easily.

Gauging from the OP's specs, it looks as though we are talking about a white Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Kash, my fault, u r absolutely correct, and after I just read ur post now I double check the covers on my MacBook and its scratch free. But probably the Glossy Plastic cover on the White MacBook is more prone to scratches.

But then again, everyone recommends MicroFiber towels/rags to clean the MacBooks outer shells being White or Black. And the PSP towel is nothing but that, so unless there was dust accumulated on the outer shell when u were cleaning it which caused the deep scratches during the cleaning, I don't have any other logical explanation for it for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I use the cloth from the PSP too, but I can't see your picture. The link is dead.

I can't say the cloth is a good screen cleaner though. It smudges dirt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
sorry to hijack this thread =)

they say the 2fit (sleeves/slipcovers) can be used to clean the macbook as well, is that true?

you think the mere act of sliding the macbook into the sleeve could scratch it? =P (<---paranoid, OC)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iBook got those kind of scratches the first 4 months. I found out what was going on. I was keeping the manual in the laptop case with the ibook and the plastic the manual came in just a couple of times sat on the top of the ibook where the Apple is. That put all kinds of marks on my nice shiny iBook. So that is a No No. I learned it the hard way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
White MacBooks are incredibly easy to scratch, just through normal use. It won't be the microfibre cloth, unless a bit of grit or something got underneath it.

I'm keeping a look out for some kind of polish that might reduce them. A CD scratch remover might help, but I haven't tried one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.