Use power button to shut down?

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to set the power button on the front of the Mac Pro to force the computer to shut down. I am setting up a headless video server and i need to give the operator the option to shut down with the power button only.

Anyone?

Cheers

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Hey, Gareth.

Once he is done with it, he can force shut down the computer by pressing and holding the Power Button. :) However, how often will this be done? if it's really often, i'd advise against that and just put it to sleep.

Cheers,
Tom

OP
G
Reaction score
Cheers Irye

I think i may have been a little misleading. What i mean by a forced shutdown is the same type as you get in Remote Desktop, where programs are forced to quit, but the system is shut down properly.

If this isn't possible, is there a way to assign the power button to execute applescript, and use the applescript to shutdown?

Cheers

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Can't you hit the power button twice and have it shut down? The first time will bring up the option to shut down, restart, sleep or cancel. I think if you hit it once more it will properly shut down. I would try it but I'm not at a point where I can shut down at the moment.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hmm, just tried this but it doesn't seem to work, do i need to enable the power button in some way, at the moment it doesn't seem to do anything at all?

Cheers

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What i mean by a forced shutdown is the same type as you get in Remote Desktop, where programs are forced to quit, but the system is shut down properly

There's no real difference between forcing applications to quit and waiting for shutdown than just turning off the power. I've always just held down the power button and powered down, and I still do it with my iMac.

The only thing is to let all activity cease first. You don't want to cut the power when the hard drive is still writing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.