iMac & Netgear Router Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

I have started to have a slight problem with either the iMac or my Netgear router. The problem is not major, but is very annoying when it occurs.
I can be surfing the net quite happily then suddenly click on a link, or a site such as this, which is on my toolbar, and the site fails to load. The address appears in the toolbar, but the blue progress bar only fills up about an inch of the space, then it just holds there. It can take a few minutes before the site loads up....and as you know a few minutes is a lifetime when you are surfing.
If I click on the Airport symbol and turn it off then turn it back on again, the lights on the router suddenly start blinking again, and everything is back to normal. I have thought about connecting via an ethernet cable to see if this makes any difference, but I cannot lay my hands on the cable that came supplied with the router.
I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and what they did about it.

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
try resetting the router. this should be done on a regular basis.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for the reply.
If I re set the router, do I have to re-enter all the password info again?

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
I had the same slowness issue with the Mac side of my 2 week old iMac 24". I had purchased & installed Parallels & Windows XP Pro. Windows XP side ran lightening fast, but Mac side took 45 seconds to load a web page when surfing. My cousin, an avid Mac user, simply went into the DHCP network settings & configured an IP and DNS address manually. You may need to call your ISP for the numbers, but ever since he did this, both sides FLY! Loving my new iMac now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.