mini Problems - No LED, Startup sound, constant fan

Reaction score
Ok, when I used to use this mini at work, it all worked perfectly, and then I managed to get it home after I bought it from them.

Bought my own PowerPC adapter for it, and it's intel, but it seems to work fine.

Thing is, there is now numerous problems, like

1. No startup sound, despite the fact the internal speakers work

2.No LED, at all, and that used to work

3. Constant fan, from boot-up to shut down, no stopping it.

I am not spending the money to get it looked up, seeing as it's all working fine, but what the **** is wrong with it. Could the car journey have totally ruined it.:[

M

MacHeadCase

I think you should investigate what you posted above. Did you try an Intel adapter instead of a PowerPC one?

I wouldn't know how that could influence the Mini's performance but, heck, it is a piece of hardware, who knows, right?

Other than that are you sure nothing was changed before you brought it home? Why did your workplace sell it? Did they uninstall any software on it before you brought it home? Etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I think MHC is correct.....All seemed to be working fine until you began using the wrong power adapter...thats when the problem started.

Too many astrerix's as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Power PC Adapter has a much lower Current rating as the G4 takes less current than the Core Duo CPU in the new Minis. That might explain all the problems and the light not lighting. I will edit this post and put the ratings off both supplies as I own both.

Edit: 85 Watts for the G4 and 110 Watts for the Intel. One parts store FLAT OUT says do NOT use a G4 Mini Power Supply with an Intel.

M

MacHeadCase

Well well well... There's the answer! Thanks for this info, dtravis7.

I hope that adapter didn't fry the Mini...

OP
A
Reaction score
Clean installed OSX, and the chime is back, the fan noise and no light are still buggy.

So basically I'll get that adapter changed then...no problem.

Only thing is, why would the fan keep on, I thought that would happen if too much power was going in, and this is the opposite.

Can someone try this is they can, see if they get the same results.

The adapter doesn't seem to have caused any harm to my mac, used it for a few hours today, no over heating or the sorts. But using the fan all the time is unhealthy.

Those behind holes told me it would be absolutely fine as well...:Angry-Tongue: (at the Apple reseller)

M

MacHeadCase

Clean installed OSX, and the chime is back, the fan noise and no light are still buggy.

So basically I'll get that adapter changed then...no problem.

Only thing is, why would the fan keep on, I thought that would happen if too much power was going in, and this is the opposite.

Can someone try this is they can, see if they get the same results.

The adapter doesn't seem to have caused any harm to my mac, used it for a few hours today, no over heating or the sorts. But using the fan all the time is unhealthy.

Those behind holes told me it would be absolutely fine as well...:Angry-Tongue: (at the Apple reseller)

Sorry, I don't have a Mac Mini but now knowing what dtravis posted, I wouldn't try it even if I did have one. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It sounds like it should be fine once you get the right adapter. Using the Intel one with a G4 would probably be a different matter though...

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help guys.

I hope it does clear up after that, bear with me as I try and get into town over the nexxt few days to exchange the adapter.

The really annoying part, I took it all the way home the day I bought it, read that it was for the PPC, went all the way back, got told it would be fine, and now I know it's not so it'll be my third visit to this Apple reseller.:Shouting:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, I checked both the supplies and both are the same voltage but the G4 one is a LOT less current. So since they are the same voltage I figured, it should not hurt it, just not work right. So i disconnected my Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz and plugged it into the workstation with the 1.25Ghz G4 mini. Same problems as you. No startup chime, no power light so I pulled the power very fast. Plugged it back into it's 110Watt PS and it's fine. I was worried for a few!!

Get the right Power Supply and you should be golden!

PS, Remind me never to try something like that again with one of my favorite Macs of all time! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Geez, how many Macs do you have? :p All I got is an Intel Mini, iBook G3, iMac G3...meh, see my Mac Specs for the rest :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geez, how many Macs do you have? :p All I got is an Intel Mini, iBook G3, iMac G3...meh, see my Mac Specs for the rest :D

To many if that is possible! :D I had bought the G4 mini as my main Mac when it first came out then my aunt left me shall we say a few $$$, so I bought the Intel Mini to play HD Movies on my front room TV. I kept the G4 mini as a spare machine and music server.

OP
A
Reaction score
LOL, dedicated or what.

I'll edit the post later to let you guys know if it worked.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, dedicated or what.

I'll edit the post later to let you guys know if it worked.

:)

Let us know how it goes. When I tried my CD Mini on my G4 Mini's supply it did some strange things!

OP
A
Reaction score
I FINALLY got that adapter today...plugged it in...pressed the button...and it's working perfectly now.

Thanks for giving me some real advice instead of just "yeah it should work...and if it breaks your mac who cares, we got our money"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.