Some strange sounds coming out of my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
My macbook has been making a strange noise lately. It's hard to describe, kind of a high pitched wirrrring/buzzing. The strange thing is that it kind of fades when doing things on the computer such as scrolling a window or opening a program. Even stranger, I've narrowed the noise down to being right underneath of the F5 key (or that area). Just another thing to add to the list for my macbook's trip to the apple store :).

Anyone else had this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Is the noise the fan(s) running ?

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it isn't the fan. It also isn't the hard drive. I wish that I could describe it more, but it's tough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I've never heard of it on a stock macbook (only macbook pro) but it sounds like 'CPU whine' (more here). Not sure if there's anything you can do about it. When can you hear it? All the time or just when it's really quiet?

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cazabam! This describes it perfectly. I seem to be experiencing exactly what these people are. They state that enabling the isight camera makes the noise go away, which does work for me. That would make sense, I only hear the noise when the system is mostly idle.

I hope that Apple doesn't see this as acceptable, I'll be upset after driving all the way to Atlantic City.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.