G4 ibook enquiries.....

A

astroboyjung

I have just bought a G4 ibook 933 Mhz. Its cool and i am never going back to Windows. But i do have a few questions:

1. I regretted not ordering the optional bluetooth and now i am stuck with a BT dongle. Any chances to install the internal BT now?

2. According to apple the max ram for my ibook is 640 and i have come across ppl saying that 1GB ram is also recognised by the ibook. So would it be possible to use a 1GB ram instead of adding just another 512MB ram? Would there be any difference or is there a risk?

OP
J

jaetique

Hey there. :) I'm from Singapore as well and am looking to get an iBook next month. I've done a bit of research here and there regarding the BT module and no, I don't think you can install it after. I'm wondering whether I should get it installed but from the looks of things, I won't. It's not likely that I'll use it much anyway, apart from mobile phone synchronization (even though my current one doesn't have BT capabilities). So in the event that I find I need the BT module, the dongle will work I suppose.

As far as I know, on Apple's website, the current specs for the 12" iBook has been increased to G4 1GHz 256MB ram. I've gone to the Apple Centre at Wheelock Place to check things out and they've been helpful. A friend of mine thought I was stark raving mad to go there since apparently, the one at Funan Mall is "better". By way of "better", he probably meant cheaper (accessories-wise mostly) because their service sucked bigtime. I enquired about an educational discount (since I'm to be a teacher soon) and they had nothing to tell me but "cehk der websai... www dot apple dot com dot ess gee".

What the ****!?!! Excuse me, but as a representative of Apple I think you should show more interest in what is to be a $2000 over investment on the part of your customer which could mean big kachingching for you. I'm not going back there again. I'd rather pay for better service and establish a good rapport with the folks at Wheelock.

Sorry. Just a rant. Where'd you purchase your iBook?

OP
J

jaetique

Yeah. See, after that digression, I forgot my response to your query about ram. Unless I'm mistaken you can max it up with 1GB instead of 512MB. Yessirreeeeeeee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
astroboyjung said:
2. According to apple the max ram for my ibook is 640 and i have come across ppl saying that 1GB ram is also recognised by the ibook. So would it be possible to use a 1GB ram instead of adding just another 512MB ram? Would there be any difference or is there a risk?

Apple's developer notes still list 640 MB as the maximum amount for your iBook, so that's probably what I'd stick with:

http://developer.apple.com/document...es/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/iBookG4_Oct03/index.html

OP
A

astroboyjung

Thanks!

jaetique said:
Yeah. See, after that digression, I forgot my response to your query about ram. Unless I'm mistaken you can max it up with 1GB instead of 512MB. Yessirreeeeeeee.

Thanks alot for your reply. I think i will wait and see if there is anyone who had use the 1GB ram and made a comparison Between 640MB and 1GB Ram. I dun wanna screw up my ibook. hehe. I bought mine from funan apple shop. Right now i am thinking to upgrade to either 15" or 17" powerbook July as i intend to switch to Mac totally and need a better and faster system.

OP
L

lzasitko

ram

Padawan said:
Apple's developer notes still list 640 MB as the maximum amount for your iBook, so that's probably what I'd stick with:

http://developer.apple.com/document...es/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/iBookG4_Oct03/index.html

Apple has always been conservative with the max amount of ram you can install. I have a Clamshell SE Graphite 366mhz and max is the 64 meg onboard and 256 stick (by Apple) I have a 512meg stick in it and have had it in for around 6 months with no problems at all.

I just bought a 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook with Superdrive and have currently 768meg of ram and will probably go to 1.25gig when ram prices come down a bit more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.