Keyboard & Trackpad not responding

Reaction score
Hey there.

Over the last month or so my 17" Macbook Pro's keyboard and trackpad seems to occassionally lock up, rendering the entire machine virtually unusable. A USB mouse I use functions properly to control the pointer, but without the keyboard functioning and can't log into my account on the computer, thus cannot access my files. Typically a forced restart will settle the issue.

Last night, this was taken to a whole new extreme where the keyboard and the trackpad have completely locked. Restarts do nothing, and I searched the support section of the apple website and some various forums for a possible solution, but am yet to find one. This is very frustrating as there are some very important files that I need to access ASAP. If anyone has any knowledge about this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I think with something this easily reproducible, you need to head straight to the Apple store and have this taken care of under warranty, if yours is still eligible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.