SUPER slow internet

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try putting in the IP address of these sites and let us know how the load times compare to putting in the name of the sites.

put in 209.191.93.52 - this is www.yahoo.com

216.52.208.185 - this is www.newegg.com

72.21.206.5 - this is www.amazon.com

try it a couple of times entering the IP address, close it, and then enter the domain name and let us know if there is any difference in load times

Also, what is the Belkin model and do you know if you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

Reaction score
One of the reason I mentioned to check the IP settings is because I had a similar problem. The DNS address on the Mac was "WRONG", the machine took a lot longer to resolve anything - eventually I would get resolution, but it took forever. This happened for all applications trying to reach the net. Still the ICMPs looked good, but name resolution just sucked. Anyway, you can open the System Preferences, Click on Network, Select Airport, then Configure, then Tab TCP/IP. You can actually remove the DNS Server name... However if you know the router IP you're using you can type it in there. The first drop down says configure IPv4, that will have a few options one being Manually. Manually will allow you to use your IP of choice - a private address of 192.168.1.* should do the trick. Subnet of 255.255.255.0 should also do the trick, then next you'll need to know the router IP. The foremention is only really valid if you're aware of the router settings. Some routers such as the Airport Extreme Base Station will allow you to use a private non routable address of 10.10.10.*... Anyway, good luck and feel free to PM if you need additional advice.

-Jay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It tells us there is an issue resolving the domain names. think jaynorris may be on the right track here.
To try his suggestion above - go to System Preferences - Network - Airport - and the TCP/IP tab - go ahead and write down the IP address DHCP has assigned here for later use
Switch from DHCP to Manually
In IP address: put in 192.168.2.*
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1
Hit apply now and give it a try - may need to reboot - don't know am use to windows - PS. Can also try the IP address you wrote down above in lieu of the 192.168.2.* - but if you do this, you should set up manual IP addresses on all of your machines

Let us know - FYI for you others: this Belkin uses 192.168.2.1 as it's IP
Got the above info from here

Another option would be to try keeping it set as DHCP and just try entering the DNS Servers address above in the appropriate box.
And I know some of you are better at networking than I am, especially at wireless, so please jump in if you see something.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
Ok, i dont see what the star is for. I tried typing that in and it says im using an invalid number. They say it has to be 4 sets of numbers. This is exactly what mine shows

IP - 192.168.2.7
Submask - 255.255.255.0
Router - 192.168.2.1
and then the DNS is blank.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I think I can help. I have a 2 wk old 24" iMac, 2.33Ghz with 2 Gigs of Ram that took 30-45 seconds for ANY browser (Safari OR Firefox) to go anywhere! Email also took as long. Yet, on the Windows side, everything flew. I run 3 other PCs on the network, with no slowness issues, so WHY was my brand spanking new iMac so SLOW on the Mac side?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, only 1 Poster has been warm in his answer so far (jaynorris). You will want to go to your Network settings, and if running DHCP, then configure your IP and DNS settings manually. Assign a Static IP address and all issues should be solved. You may need to contact your ISP for the DNS numbers.

Instead of having time to go make a coffee while surfing from one page to the next, you won't have time to blink!

Let me know if this works for you? It sure did for me! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
what is a static IP address exactly? i looked it p online and it said its just an IP address. Is there a difference?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe your question should be what is DHCP?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put the 7 in place of the *.
Add the 192.169.2.1 to the DNS section - this was the recommendation on Belkin's site.
If that does not work, the next step is as iMacGal suggests - call your ISP and ask them for the IP address of their DNS servers. Most ISP's have at least a couple DNS server addresses they can supply you with.

Static IP address is an address that does not change. Using DHCP, the IP address is assigned to each machine by the routers DHCP service. This # is dynamic, in that it can change with a re-start of the router or your computer.
A static address would be one that you set up manually so that it does not change. To do this you would go into the router settings and assign a specific address (within the range allowed) to your Mac and then go into the Mac network preferences and assign this address manually.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that my internet is back up to speed!! :) It had nothing to do with anything except my one brother taking all the bandwith with his torrent downloads!!! trust me i was upset. But all is well after I went down and turned them off :) :) thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help! If i ever get to this situation again, ill really know to do and i learned a bunch about this networking stuff :) thanks again!!
-dave

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that my internet is back up to speed!! :) It had nothing to do with anything except my one brother taking all the bandwith with his torrent downloads!!! trust me i was upset. But all is well after I went down and turned them off :) :) thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and help! If i ever get to this situation again, ill really know to do and i learned a bunch about this networking stuff :) thanks again!!
-dave

Very cool you figured it out. I hope you yelled at him a bit for hogging up the bandwidth!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I have the same problem with torrent downloads. If I do one then I start it before I go to bed (~11:30) when no one is one and let it run until I get home from school the next day (~3:15), but sometimes depending on how big the file is, it gets done before I get to stop it. Either way congrats on your fix.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, we all have another question to ask in attmepts at tech support now!!!:D

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very cool you figured it out. I hope you yelled at him a bit for hogging up the bandwidth!! :D

ohhh yes...he got it. he is very inconsiderate at times...especially since his internet was fine :)

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I think I can help. I have a 2 wk old 24" iMac, 2.33Ghz with 2 Gigs of Ram that took 30-45 seconds for ANY browser (Safari OR Firefox) to go anywhere! Email also took as long. Yet, on the Windows side, everything flew. I run 3 other PCs on the network, with no slowness issues, so WHY was my brand spanking new iMac so SLOW on the Mac side?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, only 1 Poster has been warm in his answer so far (jaynorris). You will want to go to your Network settings, and if running DHCP, then configure your IP and DNS settings manually. Assign a Static IP address and all issues should be solved. You may need to contact your ISP for the DNS numbers.

Instead of having time to go make a coffee while surfing from one page to the next, you won't have time to blink!

Let me know if this works for you? It sure did for me! :)

This is AMAZING!! I just bought the exact same computer..and was having the exact same problems. BUT....thanks to this thread I hooked it up with all the manual settings and WALA lighting fast surfing at my fingertips.....thank god that guys bro was hogging all the bandwith that day or i would still be surfing like it was 1995 lol.... Thanks everyone!!!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
have you restarted your mac recnetly ? may be some problem there.

just a simple restart or shut down and turn on again.

also as others have said - try different browsers.

it isnt your internet speed thats bad - its fine.

its the software (the browser) loading the page. - try reinstalling the browsers.

keep us up to date on what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.