sleep mode method

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
I was at the apple store a couple of days ago because a friend of mine had a problem with his ibook.. the harddisk needed to be replaced and the tech guy at the store said it was better to go into the apple menu and choose sleep rather than simply closing the lid and having the computer go into sleep. I am wondering what difference would it make ??? I remember him telling me why but i can't remember to be honest . Any notions...

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'd be amazed if there is any difference at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
One difference would be Timed Sleep function stops any user processes, such as downloading a large file or playing music, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't see why there would be a difference. Sleep mode is sleep mode, it's not going to leave user processes running because the lid was shut as opposed to the menu command being selected, surely?

Reaction score
The only problem I can think of is a laptop that has some problem with the reed switch or PMU and doesn't go to sleep. You might not notice right away, it would eat the battery, maybe overheat. If you chose Sleep from the menu bar you would know. But the above posters are right, sleep is sleep. If the laptop is working correctly, there is no difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.