mini-dvi to VGA issues...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I sometimes connect my Macbook to my LCD tv/monitor and use front row + airtunes to watch movies on my TV... however, if I have my lid closed, I only get audio and no video. It seems like the video card will only send video to my tv when the lid is open. Any ideas how to resolve this? My previous dell could send video to the tv even if the lid was closed...

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You're probably running spanned, and when close the lid it thinks you don't want to see anything anymore. Go into Displays in System Prefs (or use the displays on the Menu Bar) and "Turn on mirroring". It should then just display the same thing on both screens and when you close the lid it should keep the video on.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I sometimes connect my Macbook to my LCD tv/monitor and use front row + airtunes to watch movies on my TV... however, if I have my lid closed, I only get audio and no video. It seems like the video card will only send video to my tv when the lid is open. Any ideas how to resolve this? My previous dell could send video to the tv even if the lid was closed...

TIA

I have wanted to connect mine to a lcd tv, can you tell me how you do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have wanted to connect mine to a lcd tv, can you tell me how you do it.

If the LCD TV has an RGB (nee, VGA) connector you can get a $20US Mini-DVI to VGA adapter with which you can connect the Mac to the TV. If your TV has a DVI connector, you can get a Mini-DVI to DVI connector to connect the Mac to the TV. Then you switch the TV to whatever mode uses that connector (mine has an RGB button on the remote that switches it) and then use it as a huge monitor or watch movies.

If your TV has neither, then there's other mechanisms, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Reaction score
If the LCD TV has an RGB (nee, VGA) connector you can get a $20US Mini-DVI to VGA adapter with which you can connect the Mac to the TV. If your TV has a DVI connector, you can get a Mini-DVI to DVI connector to connect the Mac to the TV. Then you switch the TV to whatever mode uses that connector (mine has an RGB button on the remote that switches it) and then use it as a huge monitor or watch movies.

If your TV has neither, then there's other mechanisms, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Thanks for the info

I have just ordered the adapter a bit expensive £20 but it will be worth it with all the films I have.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

I have just ordered the adapter a bit expensive £20 but it will be worth it with all the films I have.
definitely worth it... w/my previous dell, i had to use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to achieve my couch potato status but w/the macbook, all i need is my little remote to navigate my movies.

I've been considering apple tv but till i decide to pull the trigger, this is the next best thing!

OP
E
Reaction score
You're probably running spanned, and when close the lid it thinks you don't want to see anything anymore. Go into Displays in System Prefs (or use the displays on the Menu Bar) and "Turn on mirroring". It should then just display the same thing on both screens and when you close the lid it should keep the video on.
Finally got this working with the help of insomnia...
the only way the Macbook video card will work w/the lid closed is if insomnia is running in the background. Didn't make a diff if mirrored displays was on or off!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.