Turning Macbook into Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
I was going to buy a MacMini, but i've been advised to just get the appropriate wires to turnt my Macbook into a desktop, so i have the best of both worlds. Portable and at home.

My question is, is it ok to leave the Macbook on for long periods of time with the lid closed, using it as a desktop. I don't want it to overheat and blow up.

Also, would you advise using it as a desktop.

Finally, what wire do i need to convert my Macbook DVI to connect to my Dell VGA monitor.

UK links please. :) Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Hustle.

I got a Black MacBook. About leaving it on for a while with the lid closed. Yeah there is no issues there I do that all the time with mine and no issues of overheating or anything.

I don't see any problems with u using it as a desktop, after all its an amazing Computer as u might have already figured out and its very stable.

And Finally, to convert the out to VGA u need to get the mini-DVI to VGA cable from Apple I think its $20, not sure how much will it be in UK.

Hope that helped.

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To be honest - why even close the lid? If you've got the space on your desk, just work with it open!

There's nothing better than working with 2 screens: One for your main application windows, one for IM clients, iTunes, Mail etc.

I have my large monitor set as my primary display (with the menu bar and dock) and my Macbook's internal display as my secondary. It's a nice way to work IMO and a great advantage when using a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To be honest - why even close the lid? If you've got the space on your desk, just work with it open!

There's nothing better than working with 2 screens: One for your main application windows, one for IM clients, iTunes, Mail etc.

I have my large monitor set as my primary display (with the menu bar and dock) and my Macbook's internal display as my secondary. It's a nice way to work IMO and a great advantage when using a laptop.
Exactly. I do the very same thing with my PowerBook.
There is no need to close the screen. Just use an external display in conjunction with your LCD and get even more screen real estate!
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I would suggest a lifter and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I got an iCurve and Apple bluetooth keyboard and MM. I love the extras and I'm saving for a monitor to mount at my bar downstairs where I do most my foolin'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i got rid of desktop pc for my macbook and never looked back a grate bit of kit can handel everything i have tryed to run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D

You can do that?? You mean like so that its just like having a dual monitor set up? Do you need anything other than the conector coz I already have that. I thought it would switch off the normal display or something. Now I HAVE to get a new monitor! :D :D :D What resolution can you get to? Is 22" 1680x1050 too much?

EDIT: this one seems so tempting and will look very nicely with my black MB :D http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148/rb/27813314860

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I only close the lid to keep the dust off the keyboard, otherwise it is my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
kaz2550, that Samsung monitor looks very nice, and what looks to be a pretty decent price (Newegg sells that monitor for $250, but then again, you don't have Newegg as an option).

The Macbook can support a resolution up to 1920x1200, so that Samsung's resolution of 1680x1050 won't be a problem :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
I use my g4 ibook as my main comp and it is open all the time, works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can do that?? You mean like so that its just like having a dual monitor set up? Do you need anything other than the conector coz I already have that. I thought it would switch off the normal display or something. Now I HAVE to get a new monitor! :D :D :D What resolution can you get to? Is 22" 1680x1050 too much?

EDIT: this one seems so tempting and will look very nicely with my black MB :D http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148/rb/27813314860
Yeah, that display will work great.

I have the similar Samsung 206BW (doesn't seem to be much of a difference as far as I can tell), and it's a really nice setup!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

I do exactly the same thing!!

My MBP is only a notebook when I'm not at home.

At home, 20"LCD, and wireless keyboard and mouse do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Exactly! I have the Samsung 22" 225BW and it is fabulous. I'm using DVI input, plus Apple's BT KB and mouse. The Samsung came with a PC CD so I was concerned there was no Mac support. Hah! It worked perfectly right out of the box and even sleeps when my MB sleeps! And it even runs a different background display than my MB.

A 22" has the same resolution as a 20" so the only difference is in size. (I believe 1680 x1050 is the max. resolution the MB will output.) The only "problem" is that the Samsung is so bright it is hard on the eyes. I have my brightness now set at 10%. The all-black monitor just looks so great sitting up above my MB. I use it as a secondary display with 2 Safari windows open side-by-side, then do email and have a third Safari window open below on the MB. Yesterday I tried the ultimate display: OS-X running on MB, and Win-XP desktop running via Parallels on Samsung. Two displays—two OSs! Now THAT looked unbelievable!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Exactly! I have the Samsung 22" 225BW and it is fabulous. I'm using DVI input, plus Apple's BT KB and mouse. The Samsung came with a PC CD so I was concerned there was no Mac support. Hah! It worked perfectly right out of the box and even sleeps when my MB sleeps! And it even runs a different background display than my MB.

A 22" has the same resolution as a 20" so the only difference is in size. (I believe 1680 x1050 is the max. resolution the MB will output.) The only "problem" is that the Samsung is so bright it is hard on the eyes. I have my brightness now set at 10%. The all-black monitor just looks so great sitting up above my MB. I use it as a secondary display with 2 Safari windows open side-by-side, then do email and have a third Safari window open below on the MB. Yesterday I tried the ultimate display: OS-X running on MB, and Win-XP desktop running via Parallels on Samsung. Two displays—two OSs! Now THAT looked unbelievable!

MB supports up to 1920x1200 external, not 1680x1050. Or in other words, up to most 24" displays.

Next purchase for me will be ditching this 17" LCD for a 24"model. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
MB supports up to 1920x1200 external, not 1680x1050. Or in other words, up to most 24" displays.

I stand corrected. This is good to know. I saw a maximum of 1680x1050 listed. Obviously since this is the max. resolution of my monitor, the MB must detect this and only gives you the option of this or less. Interesting.

Reaction score
i don't reccomend to work with closed lid, because it can't cool the system, because the main ventilation is on the bottom of the screen and if you close air vent will be stoped
or you can use this http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=224&code=030 for cooling the system

This is totally incorrect. The MacBook ventillates through the rear at the hingeline. This is open whether the lid is opened or closed. The display is disabled when the lid is closed so there is no heat generation from this portion and, overall, less heat generation than when the lid is open. There is almost no heat dissipated by the keyboard area. As for most other notebooks, most surface heat conduction to the environment is directed through the bottom.

I don't want to hear any more on this fallacy. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
ROFL.. fallacy..

Reaction score
Wow...you sound really bold for your 2nd post....LOL ! :)

The statement was tongue-in-cheek for that very reason...

Note also that when the lid is closed and the display is off, the battery/power supply circuitry does not need to supply as much power. The energy conversion is not 100% efficient. There is less heat generated and therefore, there is less heat to get rid of when the lid is closed.

Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.