No sound from Web Browsers suddenly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
All of a sudden, I don't have any audio coming from any of my Web broswers (FireFox, Safari, Shiira, Camino). All my other apps are not affected (Quicktime, iTunes, iMovie, ect. all have functioning audio)...just the web browsers.

I'm not sure exactly when it started, and the only thing I may be able to attribute it to is some 'maintenance' I was performing with Main Menu. I did the usual stuff today; ran maintenance scripts, removed temp files, repaired permissions. About the only thing I did that i've never done before was "remove corrupted preferences". I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem or not.

Any ideas? I've restarted the machine to no avail.

-Nick

M

MacHeadCase

I don't think MainMenu would be responsible for this. Heck! The developer even put a security feature that prevents you from running the app if it isn't compatible after an OS update.

Your sound problem could be related to Flash-based websites. I read in here a possible fix for sound problems, dunno if it will work for you but here goes... Launch GarageBand, play a few notes with some loops and listen to it. Quit GB without saving the file. Sound should be fixed.

If not there is always the Audio Midi Setup utility that resides in your Utilities folder: launch it and make sure settings are at Built-in Output to 44khz. Quit the app.

Now try the audio again. Let us know how it goes.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Playing a few notes on the piano in garageband did the trick! Wierd. Thanks a bunch for the help!

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.