Question about DVD player

F

Fomer

Will my powerbook play Region 2 dvd's. (England) I have a US Powerbook (duno if theres a difference cause I don't know about England's stuff) Anyways theres some dvd's that do not exsist in region 1 that I would love to add to my library, but I am affraid my only means of a dvd player is a sorry 50 dollar Apex (which I doubt would play them), my Xbox (no clue), and my laptop.

I have no experience with region 2, but I have seen on Region 1 it says will not play in most Region 2 dvd players. Leading me to believe there is a difference. If it calls for it I will drop the money and buy a European DVD player. But I'd rather not...

Thanks to whomever can help.

(My Powerbook is no the newest but the one right before it. 15 Inch (the combo drive not super)

OP
W

Wapa18

i'm not sure, but i think i heard somewhere that VLC will play different region DVD's. check versiontracker.com

OP
F

Fomer

Do you think it would be a matter of the software and not the actual laptop? I hadn't even given thought to it could be as simple as using VLC... I wasn't even aware I could use VLC to play my region 1 dvds. I think I've gone Dos in my head, need to go back to thinking simple. I typed in region 2 and was unable to bring up anything other than Region X but that for Chinese, Japense, etc to be able to play Region 1 and not vice-versa from my understanding...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
A laptop DVD drive will play only specific DVDs from that region itself. So if your drive is set for region 2, it will play region 2 DVDs only. You are allowed to change the region 4 times (I think!). I got my PB from USA and use it here in England. My DVD region is set to 2 (for europe). I know that I can change it 4 more times, but not anymore after that, not even after i format my laptop! So careful there :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have read that you can change the region code on your DVD drive five times. after that you are lock to the last setting. I also read there is a hack that can get around the region setting, but it will void your warranty, due to is messes with the DVDs firmware.

OP
F

Fomer

Update...

I checked out the products on amazon.co.uk
And the dvd's I would be picking up are.

Edition Details:
• Region 0
•*Box set, PAL

Then I checked a DVD site....

REGION 0 - Region Free. Will play on any player, in any region.

Optimisticism rocks! Thanks for helping me, guys.

OP
F

Fomer

Now that's cleared up will Amazon.co.uk ship to the US. International shipping fee's are worth it to me. :)

And I wanted to find one more site backing that statement up. And It said "Region Zero, will play in all Regions. NTFC for NTFC and PAL for PAL"

So would the fact that Strider's Laptop plays Pal, would mean mine could. This wouldn't mess with the 5 time change Region setting would it?

OP
S

section31

Fomer said:
Now that's cleared up will Amazon.co.uk ship to the US. International shipping fee's are worth it to me. :)

And I wanted to find one more site backing that statement up. And It said "Region Zero, will play in all Regions. NTFC for NTFC and PAL for PAL"

So would the fact that Strider's Laptop plays Pal, would mean mine could. This wouldn't mess with the 5 time change Region setting would it?

I order from Amazon UK all the time for CDs since I buy a lot of imports. The prices are actually comparable but the shipping will reflect a higher price but worth it imo and as it seems it will be worth it to you too.

OP
T

TylerMoney

You can change your region five times on your mac dvd player....be careful though...the last one is the one it stays at.....if worst comes to worse...rip dvd using something like dvd backup, then use something like dvd2onex to compress it, then you can set what ever region you'd like.....I don't know why they limit region changes...but many dvd players do for some reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.