How do you organise your applications folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I assume that there is no problem to put applications in to sub-folders within the applications folder and since as you install more and more stuff the list to scroll in the applications folder is getting a bit long....

What are you all doing? Do you just keep all in the applications folder? If not, how do you organise them in sub-folders, alphabetically, after function, after how often you use them or anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I keep mine alphabetically, no sub folders and have all my fave apps on my dock so it is very rare that I have to actually open up the apps folders.

I am not sure whether sub folders would creats a problem - I cant see why it would but not having done it, cannot say for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I don't think putting apps in sub-folders or moving them to other folders altogether will create problems... though I wouldn't move Microsoft Office and Adobe's apps. (I'd rather not take chances when it comes to those two.)

[[Edit: Ah yes, the default Apple apps as well.]]

As for the organization, I just leave it as a big list, no sub-folders.

My Applications folder has 155 items. =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You might run into problems with sub folders when a system update is installed (10.4.9 or similar), as the installer will look for, say 'Mail' in the applications folder and will create a second copy of mail there if it isn't found.

Not really a big deal, but it might create a bit of a additional clutter :).

For that reason, I leave all the default apps in the top level folder and only create sub folders for the smaller "tools" that I use.

I have:

Drawing & Writing
Games
Media Apps
Webdesign Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", iPhone
You could just put all your main apps in your dock, and use spotlight to find any rarely used app... spotlight FTW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could just put all your main apps in your dock, and use spotlight to find any rarely used app... spotlight FTW!
Or Quicksilver!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Or Quicksilver!

Quicksilver is very nice. I use it very often, and not just to open files and programs. I move, copy, paste, and organize files without even having to open a finder window!.

Quicksilver rocks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
that's it for me! All apps in my application folder, favourites in the dock, quicksilver to open the others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I put my applications folder on my Dock, so a right (or control) click brings them all up in a menu listed alphabetically.

As for subfolders, it depends on the app. Some apps actually put themselves in subfolders in the Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Software update will not be able to find the system apps if you move them.
Please be careful.
Apple usually has a good reason for putting things where they are.

Reaction score
Mine is a mess, just the way Steve Jobs likes it. torchy is right, if you organize your apps in sub-folders many software updates won't be able to find them. Some apps sit nekkid, others install in their own folders. I can't see much rhyme or reason, but then my Application folder matches my real live paper filing "system". :eek:

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Think I have the solution for this now. I will make aliases of all applications and structure them in sub-folders and stick the top folder in the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
My computer is always a horrible mess.

Just about everything ends up on the desktop. I have a folder called 'junk', and when it gets so bad that I don't have space for any more Icons on my DUAL monitors, I drop a load of rubbish into that.

BTW, a quick count tells me that's 160 items on the desktop before I have to clean up :D

Oh, then we've got the 4 hard disks (+ 1 partition for bootcamp) which have data liberally spread about on them. When one gets full, I'll move some of the stuff to one of the others. And so on.

If you're a neat freak, my world would give you nightmares. :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.