Is Applecare WORTH the $$$$$ ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I am going to say it is worth it. My PowerBook, few months after the 1 year warranty, the logic board went. Cost me $350 to replace. This is the first Mac I never bought the extended warranty for, and wish I did. The cost of Apple Care pays for itself even the first time you use it.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
Some credit cards extend warranty on items you buy with them.

Mastercard extends the mac warranty by a additional 12 months simply by using the card. must provide statement record and receipt provided at time of purchase, fill out form in 30 days etc.

a amex customer i read about received a new laptop after her warranty from hp expired.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I paid for my Macbook with an American Express card, I should definitely check out the options available. Thanks for the tip!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just read up on the details of the American Express program and looks like they'll cover an additional year AFTER Applecare expires. So looks like I just got an additional year added to my warranty!! So instead of ending in 2009, I now have warranty coverage till December of 2010! :D

I'm quite excited, as you can tell :p

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I paid for my Macbook with an American Express card, I should definitely check out the options available. Thanks for the tip!!

I have always avoided amex, but now would be a good time to join, since I am switching to mac for the first time.

Some credit cards protect your purchase for accidental damage as well, still researching which companies cards do so.

IMO, a major fault of apple/ applecare is not providing accidental damage protection, HP, and Dell, do so for $100 at time of purchase.:Cool:

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just read up on the details of the American Express program and looks like they'll cover an additional year AFTER Applecare expires. So looks like I just got an additional year added to my warranty!! So instead of ending in 2009, I now have warranty coverage till December of 2010! :D

I'm quite excited, as you can tell :p

Does this mean I get a rep upgrade????;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, not for another 24 hours ;P

Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy 2 applecare extentions in the next few weeks. I fully intended on waiting my full year before buying. I dont see any reason to buy it on initial purchase when the first year is free.

I would say they dont play favorites if you dont buy it and have a problem. My wifes macbook just died, either hdd crash or mobo failure. Its got one month left on the original 1yr warranty and they set her up for repair/replacement with no problems at all.

From my experience, the apple store employees push .mac WAY more than applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I bought my MBP because nothing ever goes wrong with Apple Mac....oh yeah I nearly forgot. It died after 6 hours. I know if that happens within 90 days they replace or fix for nothing.....but what if it happened after 107 days? Insurance is insurance, you're only glad you have it when you need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im getting ready to buy 2 applecare extentions in the next few weeks. I fully intended on waiting my full year before buying. I dont see any reason to buy it on initial purchase when the first year is free.

I would say they dont play favorites if you dont buy it and have a problem. My wifes macbook just died, either hdd crash or mobo failure. Its got one month left on the original 1yr warranty and they set her up for repair/replacement with no problems at all.

I'm going to assume you're buying two sets of Applecare because you have two different computers. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can only purchase Applecare once for each individual computer.

Second point I wanted to make is how Applecare works. It's not that you're getting one year free, because Applecare is an EXTENSION to the original one year warranty. So whether you buy it on day one or on day 364, it's the same thing, just a two year extension to the original warranty, for a total of 3 years.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

From my experience, the apple store employees push .mac WAY more than applecare.

Thanks biffyiffy, my original concern was if the level of service would suffer if You did not have applecare. I concur, applestore employees do try to sell the .mac account which is WAAAAY overpriced imo.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am confused however, they do try to sell something called procare. procare??? /applecare??? Whats the diff? Is Procare Extra hand holding?

Reaction score
I'm going to assume you're buying two sets of Applecare because you have two different computers. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can only purchase Applecare once for each individual computer.

yes, 2 different computers. Got my mini (our first mac) last May of last year. Wife got a macbook late June of last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
I started my life with Apple with my iPod, and liked the idea of a security net. then... after FIVE replacements for hard drive failures, I can't imagine life without the applecare!!
ProCare, on the other hand, I can't see a real use for... for me, at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
ProCare is for people who don't want to figure things out for themselves.

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Did You purchase procare Mr sockeye?"
"Nooo."
"I'm sorry, You go to the end of the line scummm!"
:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
"Did You purchase procare Mr sockeye?"
"Nooo."
"I'm sorry, You go to the end of the line scummm!"
:[

lol, too funny.. its all about the mighty green buck budy! "did you buy procare sir?" "no" "sorry sir go take a number and get comfortable."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.