MacBook won't recognize USB device, won't recognize target laptop

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here :)

I have two problems with my new MacBook (OSX 10.4.9) which may or may not be unrelated.

I backed up my data on a Lexar Firefly 1GB USB device. The first time I attached the device to the MacBook, I could see its contents. But now, whenever I plug it in and try to open it, my desktop just refreshes, without letting me access the USB device. I checked on another computer and the device works fine.

My old iBook G4 crashed so now I want to try to recover my stuff by using it as a Target device connected by a firewire cable.

Same thing happens: First time I did it, I coud see inside my old hard drive, but subsequently, the disk image wouldn't even show up.

What's going on here??? :Oops: I appreciate any help you could offer!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Do you have personal file sharing turned on on the macbook? blue apple>system preferences>sharing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.