• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

File Sharing

W

WilliS

what file sharing program do you guys use?

currently at college, most ports that these programs run off are blocked so students cant host anything they want... and i havent really looked for any mac file sharing program before... so im wondering what you guys use :)

**note** this is not for any illegal activity, no need to mention that it can be used for those means as well... i simply am looking for a way to find documents and stuff, and would rather not use IRC... too much hassel to find some simple text files or video clips here and there :)

thanks

OP
F

Fomer

They have allowed file sharing talks before as long as they dont cross the line into mentioning of Serial Numbers, cracks, and stuff.

If I was you honestly (easier said that done) while at a university I'd a 100% forget about P2P clients. Most are blocked, say you find one thats not use it (get caught) the Universities take some extreme punishments. Including Fines (on top of whatever other legal fee's you could be facing) suspension, etc.

But if your 100 % determined on it, I would go with Conversation (safest) it's a IRC type thing. Laid out exactly like IChat.

If that don't work for you www.macupdate.com type in P2P under search and it will bring up a ton of different ones. Download lesser known ones (ie... not Limewire, which is great by the way it suited my needs before I decided File Sharing wasn't for me and got out of it.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
OP
T

TylerMoney

Limewire, have bit torrent, but never use it. friend uses aquisition.

OP
D

design2

Fomer:
i used mIRC before i moved onto mac within the last month or so, is Conversation like that? im downloading it now. and if it is whats its biggest server? like EFNET OR DALNET on IRC?

OP
M

mMmApples

I am a fan of BitTorrent, was wondering if anyone knew any decent sites...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
mMmApples said:
I am a fan of BitTorrent, was wondering if anyone knew any decent sites...
Because of the nature of the application, I don't think you willl get to many replies. Unless they are private ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
to OP, you could always reconfigure or forward your ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
/me is waiting for eXeem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.