Mighty Mouse... Grrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
I've just spent ages cleaning that silly little ball in my mighty mouse. Et voila I was so happy - it's working the best it has since I got it... BUT now the middle button doesn't work :Grimmace: so I can't load up dashboard unless I move my hand all the way over to the F12 key... life just isn't fair ;D

Seriously though what could I have done to the mouse? I only used a damp lint free cloth over my knee and rubbed mouse back and forth for 5/10 mins.

Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
That ball mechanism is really fiddly, it would be quite easy to dislodge the switch. Personally, I gave up using the Mighty Mouse, I just didn't get on with it - the ball is too prone to jamming up and my hand is too big for the MM anyway.

M

MacHeadCase

I dunno. I've used a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse since last September and didn't encounter any problems with it yet. Apart from the odd ball-roller cleaning with rubbing alcohol, I've enjoyed using it so far.

You might have a defective unit in your hands. Take it back have them check it out in the store you bought it from is my suggestion.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh this is the first time I've had any problem other than ball cleaning.. just thought that maybe I had cleaned it a little too throughly and dislodged the middle button sensor thing :)

Who knows.. it scrolls and that is the maing thing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Sounds like you may have cleaned it too enthusiastically?!

I had a usb MM and even though I enjoyed it thoroughly, it was too long for my small hands! I was so bummed when my hand and arm felt the strain and I had to return it. :(

Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem, I love Apple, but the peripherals suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Seriously though what could I have done to the mouse? I only used a damp lint free cloth over my knee and rubbed mouse back and forth for 5/10 mins.

Thanks

Adam

You used water and not alcohol, the button is a switch and it's probably short-circuiting due to the moisture.

Get some alcohol (the tape head cleaning sort) and use that, it should displace the water.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iKitten - I may have got carried away - even the colour of the ball changed back to grey ;)

gilesjuk - I'll give it a shot!

Thanks

Adam

pod

Reaction score
I love all my Apple stuff... apart from this Mighty Mouse... why Apple didn't design this mouse so you could open it up to clean that **** ball and the sensors properly I don't know... major design fault imho...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh I agree! But as I'm too tight to buy a new one I have just set a corner to activate the dashboard which is what my middle button did. It's no bigger.. but it's not perfect anymore lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.