Fitting Hitachi 1TB drive into 20" core duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo
I've come to the point where I am struggling with the 250GB internal drive and most things that can easily be kept on an external drive (movies, last year's photos etc) have already been transferred to an external drive.

I'm not looking forward to opening up the mac for the first time. I know there's many good guides out there but I would still like to get it right straight away rather than having to upgrade again next year. That is why I want to go for the largest possible size. Hence my question: will the new Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM work? I would really appreciate if anyone would be able to tell me if this has been done before.

Also are there any issues addressing such a large drive in OSX? I don't like having to create partitions as I always find myself rearranging things between different partitions after a while.

Any input would be much appreciated. I know there's lots of info out there about the smaller drives but I'm just curous about the 1TB drive specifically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
First off, open it up and say bye bye to your warranty. I had purchased these external cases by Ultra where you could chain link 3 of them together through firewire. I picked them up on sale for $15. I would invest in something like that have a few externals instead of opening your iMac. Just an opinion though.
As for it fitting, it should be no problem. They only make two size hard drives, desktop and laptop so if it didn't fit, that'd be pretty dumb of Hitachi to make something like that. But dang, 32MB of cache. I am drooling!
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.