• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where is ToddG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No offense iRye, but I love this place because it's fun. I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
So getting back to the original thread (sorry to hijack it) has anyone heard from ToddG or did he just up and go without explanation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
So getting back to the original thread (sorry to hijack it) has anyone heard from ToddG or did he just up and go without explanation?

if you read his last post I think you can do the math as to why he is gone.

The way I read into it. He did not agree with the way the mods run the forum.. It was his choice to leave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
Does anyone have another way to contact him, such as an instant message or email? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
No offense iRye, but I love this place because it's fun. I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D
I agree, it is fun, but sometimes, as with any forum, it's not. you are one of the most fun forums' ive been to :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
if you read his last post I think you can do the math as to why he is gone.

The way I read into it. He did not agree with the way the mods run the forum.. It was his choice to leave.

To quote Baggss...."Ah gotcha. Thanks!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D
You said it! I'm so grateful I can express myself politely in relative peace. I've not been active in any forums before this due to the contentious nature of the environment. I registered here because it's different!

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
This thread was probably necessary to clear the air. Now, I'm smellin' pancakes and we should all have some in honor of M-F forums and the cool way problems are solved here.

Schweb, thanks for your straight-forward answers and commitment to keep this place at peace. You do a great job! :D

About ToddG... I think it's his choice to go and he will be missed terribly but we can always hope he'll come back. If he has problems here that he feels are not reconcileable, then it's best he finds another forum where he can be happy.

I still say, I'll really miss him on the 5-letter game though! :)

Hope everyone is all better now. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To be honest, I see only two active forum staff here (schweb and DB), the rest don't seem to do a lot, although they may be closing threads that I am not really looking at so I may not notice them as much.

Cheers baggss, I'll remember that when working through your daily list of reported posts... ;)

On a personal note: I remember thinking that the rules were a bit strict when I first joined (and I've even accidently broken the non-profanity rule as a mod once).
But the more you see, the more you realize that it works.

Mac forums in particular seem to draw trolls to them like you wouldn't believe. Add the spammers and other nuisances and you can quickly spoil the forum experience for everyone. No one has ever created "fun rules" (isn't that an oxymoron?), but I personally think there aren't any rules here that are too harsh.

M

MacHeadCase

You said it! I'm so grateful I can express myself politely in relative peace. I've not been active in any forums before this due to the contentious nature of the environment. I registered here because it's different!

Ditto. In various forums, I always made to feel in more or less subtle ways that I was dismissed because I was female: not constantly but it was there. A female's opinion wasn't as valuable as a man's.

And if harassment happened to me as a female (it has on two or three occasions, in different forums), it was very hard to make the staff understand what happened and how I felt. Here it's different, staff is receptive and it's one of the reasons why so many female members come to this place and why they post much more freely than in any other forum I've been to.

As for restrictions, its in human nature to always try to get away with and grab as much of you can out of what is available to you (even some of what isn't available). So rules? You betcha. We need them unfortunately.

The staff has a very professional attitude in dealing with infractions, applying the rules and it suits me fine.

So big thanks to those that accept these rules in this forum. And big thanks to those that see that these rules are followed by all, no favouritism involved.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ditto. In various forums, I always made to feel in more or less subtle ways that I was dismissed because I was female: not constantly but it was there. A female's opinion wasn't as valuable as a man's.

And if harassment happened to me as a female (it has on two or three occasions, in different forums), it was very hard to make the staff understand what happened and how I felt. Here it's different, staff is receptive and it's one of the reasons why so many female members come to this place and why they post much more freely than in any other forum I've been to.

As for restrictions, its in human nature to always try to get away with and grab as much of you can out of what is available to you (even some of what isn't available). So rules? You betcha. We need them unfortunately.

The staff has a very professional attitude in dealing with infractions, applying the rules and it suits me fine.

So big thanks to those that accept these rules in this forum. And big thanks to those that see that these rules are followed by all, no favouritism involved.

:D

that is an awesome post.. you opened up my eyes to something I never thought about..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why thank you KoDor! :)

I think it would be a great idea if this forum had a female mod ( if they don't already). That way they could chime in on things a male might not quite see or understand being a male. A females point of view would be a huge addition. There is no gender option on this forum so I can't tell if there is already a female mod. From what I have seen there is not one but again I can't be positive on that one.

M

MacHeadCase

I don't think there is a female on the M-F staff but the staff's infraction grading system seems to be fairly effective from what I've seen so far. I don't know who jotted down that system but it seems to work rather well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Seconded!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Cheers baggss, I'll remember that when working through your daily list of reported posts... ;)

As I have said before:

"Once a problem child, always a problem child"....

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks a whole lot for the trust, gnrfsu. But I've been down that road before and am never going back there again. :D

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Thanks a whole lot for the trust, gnrfsu. But I've been down that road before and am never going back there again. :D

If it was up to a vote, I'd vote for you too MHC, but I understand the decline too. I'm sure being a Mod/Admin. is a very difficult job! I can't even imagine. :Grimmace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.