MBP won't run on battery, what's up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
On the 9th of this month I was typing away on my MBP (1.83 if that helps) and all of a sudden it goes *boop* and everything turns off. So I think, that's weird, and go grab the adapter b/c I'm thinking hey obviously it was low on power and I wasn't paying attention. Well after I finish my paper I unplug it and move it across the room. I place it on my desk open it up and press the on button. Nothing. I try again this time holding it down and it makes the sounds as if it wants to fire up and then turns itself off again. Well, I bring the adapter over b/c obviously it was working seconds ago and when I plug the adapter into the wall it turns right on. So now I have a laptop I can't take anywhere without the adapter b/c it won't work. Latest thing I've done was download the new battery update.
Any ideas?

*note* I read on TUAW sometime back (a week or 2 ago) that there was a battery recall of some sort. Thing is I've already sent in the battery for this MBP once before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
when u press the button on the battery does a single light flash rapidly?

sounds like u got a funk dead battery.

ive had two, one on mb, one on a pro

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
A light on the battery itself? Would I need to pop the battery out to find this button and push it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no there is a little silver button on the outside, next to the LED's

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Nothing is lit up on the bottom but I've unplugged it from the adapter and I'm currently typing with it like that. So for the time being it appears to be solved. I'm still going in to an Apple store when I get the chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
Sounds like you have a bad battery. Definitely see an Apple store or call Apple to get a new one. I was one the phone with them yesterday and they're sending me a new one right now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they are pretty easy about new batteries these days with all the battery problems theyve had recently.

i would imagine a two minute phone call will get you a new one shipped right out! not even needing a trip into the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Alos, look up the directions on how to reset the PMU, it may not be recognizing the battery right now.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Thanks for all the info guys. I thought it had fixed itself but it's gone back to being screwy. I need a battery ASAP so I'm going to go by the store and maybe they'll replace it there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.