How do I use iChat? (Jag)

B

Bluewolf

I have already opened the application before and attempted to use it but that attempt was in vain, and it scared me off from using iChat.

I guess the question here really should be:
How do I correct what I have already entered into iChat; and
How do I use iChat?

I have tried using Mac Help, but I did not find anything useful that could help me out.

Any information on how I go about removing my first attempt at using iChat and then entering in my profile would be great.

Bluewolf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You log onto iChat using an AOL/AIM sn or your .mac name.
There are no profiles in iChat so you can't add that

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
You log onto iChat using an AOL/AIM sn or your .mac name.
There are no profiles in iChat so you can't add that

I have now signed in, I think, with my .mac name but the system is so different from that to MSN I have no idea how to use it. To make matters worse I have no idea whether I am online.

This may seem strange considering I can get to this website, but I am connecting through my University's proxy server. I think I have setup the correct things in preferences but I am not sure.

So I may or may not be online with my account, and I may or may not be talking to someone. >_<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can tell if you are online by the status thingy below your username. If you are online it will be a Green Circle and say online.....if you are offline it will say offline

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
You can tell if you are online by the status thingy below your username. If you are online it will be a Green Circle and say online.....if you are offline it will say offline

:confused: I have honestly no idea where that is. The only thing that I have when I go to File/New Chat With Person is a grey window with another smaller grey window sticking out of the left hand side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Press the Apple key + 1 to make your buddy list appear which is where you will see your buddies names and your status

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
Press the Apple key + 1 to make your buddy list appear which is where you will see your buddies names and your status

As soon as the buddy list popped up this came up as well:
AOL Instant Messenger is disabled You must enable the service to display the list

Should I enable this? Or press cancel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
You'll probably want to enable it, so that you'll be able to see your buddies. Oh and I hope you do know that you don't have to use a .mac account, you can just use ur old AIM account.

EY

OP
B

Bluewolf

EYPUFF said:
You'll probably want to enable it, so that you'll be able to see your buddies. Oh and I hope you do know that you don't have to use a .mac account, you can just use ur old AIM account.

EY

After enabling the list I discovered that I am not connected to the internet. This is most likely due to the proxy server. Yet the strange thing is that with my PC MSN worked yet Mac MSN does not.

I think I can't handle yet another new IM for I am way beyond 13 :p

The AIM option does not exist I am afraid so its a .mac account for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.