G4 1 GHz vs G4 1.33 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Hi there, after some deliberating over if i wanted to get an iBook or a Powerbook, i've decided to get the 12" Powerbook, it just means waiting a while longer to save some more cash. I know Apple just upgraded the entire powerbook/ibook range. What i'm looking to get is either the 1GHz or the 1.33GHz, Superdrive, standard 60gig HD, with the RAM maxed out at 1.25 gig. Since i'm based in the UK, i know Apple costs just a little more here. Is it worth paying the extra £220($390)for the 0.33 difference in the processor? The main use i'll have out of the laptop is video editing, possibly Premiere, and general everyday usage. Your advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks for Reading.

C

Chamorro

The cost/benefit can really only be determined by yourself. The 1Gig PB should perform fine for what you need. For my money, I'd like to see more than slightly higher processor speed for that much of a price difference...but I tend to be cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
My uncle has a 1ghz eMac and my dad has the 1.25ghz eMac
They both have the same configurations but the 1.25 seems to be twice as fast

T

TylerMoney

I think it's well worth it...it isn't just an updated processor..you get more vram too...and a faster dvd burner...4x istead of 2x.....and standard 60hd instead of standard 40g....so there you have my opinion on the matter.

OP
citystar2k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
My mate just told me it's worth it, especially now it has airport extreme built in. That'll come handy when i fly with singapore airlines as they're going to be having wi-fi on their planes. I'll settle for the 1.33GHz, i might just need that extra kick sometime. Thanks for your replys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
citystar2k said:
I'll settle for the 1.33GHz,
**** i wish i could just settle for the 1.33

L

lzasitko

12" G4

citystar2k said:
Hi there, after some deliberating over if i wanted to get an iBook or a Powerbook, i've decided to get the 12" Powerbook, it just means waiting a while longer to save some more cash. I know Apple just upgraded the entire powerbook/ibook range. What i'm looking to get is either the 1GHz or the 1.33GHz, Superdrive, standard 60gig HD, with the RAM maxed out at 1.25 gig. Since i'm based in the UK, i know Apple costs just a little more here. Is it worth paying the extra £220($390)for the 0.33 difference in the processor? The main use i'll have out of the laptop is video editing, possibly Premiere, and general everyday usage. Your advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks for Reading.

I just bought one of these and yes the 1.33ghz is noticably faster than the 1ghz. I had a PC portable that died and instead of getting another PC thought that I would go for an Apple. I tried a 1ghz for 4 days then returned it and got the 1.33. Could get a good deal on the old model but the added speed, superdrive, airport extreme, larger hd and more video ram all works for me. So far it is great and screen is much better than any pc out there with maybe the exception if Sony and Toshiba portables.

Put Virtual PC 6 on it along with Win2000, Autocad and a couple of other programs that I needed the PC for. I had VPC on the 1ghz and found that side by side tests the 1.33ghz loaded Autocad drawings about twice as fast as the 1ghz.

Anything that is cpu intensive like video editing etc will be much nicer with a faster cpu.

Larry Zasitko

C

Chamorro

TylerMoney said:
I think it's well worth it...it isn't just an updated processor..you get more vram too...and a faster dvd burner...4x istead of 2x.....and standard 60hd instead of standard 40g....so there you have my opinion on the matter.

With all that it sounds like a good deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
citystar2k said:
it has airport extreme built in. That'll come handy when i fly with singapore airlines as they're going to be having wi-fi on their planes.

Can't wait. Also on Emirates. I always fly Emirates. The new Airbus planes are sweet. I guess they were the first to implement wi-fi on planes.

W

wahdiatme

Strider said:
Can't wait. Also on Emirates. I always fly Emirates. The new Airbus planes are sweet. I guess they were the first to implement wi-fi on planes.

does anybody have any idea of any other wifi planes..say.. AmericanAirlines?

T

TylerMoney

got me...but it'd be cool if american airlines was..I'm flying home on them in a couple months.

T

tekno_geek911

I use my 1GHz 12" PowerBook for Photoshop,Cinema 4D,Final Cut Express 2,Studio MX and it works great... You may be better off spending the extra $390 on accessories/extra RAM. It cant be THAT much faster and the graphics card still sucks either way.

T

TylerMoney

the graphics card doesn't sucks...it's much better..especially with 64mb ram.

P

prozach1576

So...would you say that my en route 1.5 ghz with 128 mb VRAM will be a speed demon? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
prozach1576 said:
So...would you say that my en route 1.5 ghz with 128 mb VRAM will be a speed demon? :D
Heh, I'd say so, I'm sure it's got a lot of main RAM :p

N

nicholas

You're gonna have alot of fun with it. But what I did find a little dissapointing with even the latest powerbooks is that even with the 128MB Radeon and 1.5Ghz processor, it still can't run the newest games to their fullest potential. Command and Conquer: Generals, for instance. With the highest resolution setting, you still have to put the detail on low for the game to blister. You can put it on high, but it'll be noticeably in slow motion (but at least not choppy). And I'm speaking with 2GB of RAM installed as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I think something some of you guys failed to mention is the other upgrades in the 1.33 GHz Powerbook. It is WELL worth the money to get the higher end, and not only for the CPU. The new Powerbook has a faster front side bus, faster RAM, twice the video memory (makes a huge difference!), built-in airport, and 20 gigs more HD space.

All of that, to me, was WELL worth buying. I'm finding that the combination of the faster chip with the faster front side bus, and twice the video memory, is making my graphics stuff absolutely scream compared to my old 1 GHz Powerbook.

I'm happy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
This is a very good point :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.