Tranferring Account Settings

Reaction score
Hi. I set up my macbook pro a while ago and then realized that I am using an admin account for every day tasks. I think it would be more secure to set up a regular account for most activities, and switch to admin for admin tasks, or temporally grant myself admin privileges. Agreed?

If so, what's the best way to transfer all my account settings from the admin account (I guess that's root, because I can't switch it to a normal account) to a new regular account. I've seen a number of ways to do this from researching online, but am wondering if anyone knows of the easiest way. Thanks for your help in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hm that would be tedious. You'd have to copy over every plist file that is specific to your preferences.

Reaction score
Just go into System Preferences, Accounts, create a new account, then check the "Allow user to administer..." on the new account, but uncheck it in your everyday account, but keep that as the one that is opened at login.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.