• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hard Disk rammed after installing FC Studio

Reaction score
Howdy,

Despite being a veteran Mac user (I still have my classic 1 hooked up) I've mostly taken a break from Macs until recently......

Back in December I installed FC studio 5.1 on my new clean MacBook. It has a 60GB internal hard drive which, by the time I'd updated everything, it just about full (less 8gb which i need for capture scratch). Where did all the space go?
I've 'get info'ed just about every folder I can see but still I cant see how my disk is full.

When I used programs like Premier on the PC they only took up on 100mb or so....

I have Itunes - its content takes up 3gbs.
I have dumped all unused stuff like garageband loops etc

Any tips would be greatfully recieved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-933, PB-1.25, TiBook-1Ghz
FCP 5.1 is only about 5 gig or so installed.

To ask the obvious, do you have the drive partitioned?

OP
M
Reaction score
no, i dont think so - if i did, it would show up as 2 drives right? i certainly havn't done it myself.

The other thing is that its FC studio so it has motion and all the other add ons but I've dumped off some of these aswell....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try Disk Inventory X.
This is a great free app for displaying in picture view your hard drive space.

Reaction score
It is probably taken up by your media captures and full quality exports.. I have had full quality exports that are 2 minutes long and weigh in at 5Gb....

I would recomemd editing on an external drive, it is a lot better for the computer helps with power managment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.