How to get iTunes to stop auto adding mp3s to my library?

Reaction score
Is there any way to do this? Every little mp3 I play, it adds to my library automatically. I don't see any options for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced

Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library

OP
C
Reaction score
That's already unchecked. All that does is copy files to your physical folder when adding to the library. The option I'm looking for is, "don't automatically add files to my library when I play them"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope can't do that

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i initially thought this would be an issue. after a long hard road, i did end up coming back to itunes with a number of the features disabled (other than that adding to library thing anyway). it's easy enough to clear the library as needed though. i also use temporary playlists to sort music to add to cds and such.

edit: cog does look pretty good remain. i may have to check into that. very stripped down WMP like (which i actually dig). you may have some rep coming your way... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Be sure to try the nightly builds; they hold many improvements over v0.05.
(For starters, from 0.05 to 0.06, the whole interface even got a complete makeover.)

Cog's far from being a "finished product" though.
Some of the stuff isn't quite polished yet, such as saved playlists (M3U files), etc.

However, I still prefer it to iTunes, and I currently use it as my default music player.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when i checked the screenshots it seemed to have a lot of the stuff i like (including progress bar and total time of current playlist).

tell me something though, can you easily reorder the trackes within that playlist window like you can in an itunes playlist or in windows media player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cog_playlist_ordering.png

Does this answer your question? XD

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess the alternative option is to use something like Cog as the default app when I double click an mp3 just for a quick listen..but I can still open iTunes for extended listening sessions to my tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if you just want a "quick listen" type of player, you could just use QuickTime.
(or even the Preview section in Get Info, as someone has once suggested)

That was my solution before I found Cog.
(although I found QuickTime to be unsatisfactory due to its lack of a playlist)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Play's pretty good too,
but it's a Library-based music player like iTunes, i.e., it adds every played file to the Library.

However, it does have a handy "Play Queue," which iTunes does not have.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just downloaded the newest non-daily build of cog (0.05). very nice. simple, easy to use, and i like how the default action is only to add songs to the playlist rather than to play - kind of nice to add a few songs, then a few others without dragging. the drawer for track info is a nice touch too, as well as real total time (as opposed to iTunes giving you time in something like 1.5 hours).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just downloaded the newest non-daily build of cog (0.05). very nice. simple, easy to use, and i like how the default action is only to add songs to the playlist rather than to play - kind of nice to add a few songs, then a few others without dragging. the drawer for track info is a nice touch too, as well as real total time (as opposed to iTunes giving you time in something like 1.5 hours).
in itunes if you click the time where it says stuff like 1.5 hours it switches it to real time

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was pretty sure i tried that... perhaps i was mistaken. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Eric, I grabbed the latest nightly build (0.06) and the interface is a lot nicer. It's starting to take shape.

OP
C
Reaction score
Eh, didn't care for Cog. I associated my mp3s with Cog, and when I double click an mp3, Cog opens but doesn't play?? I have to hit play manually. Not cool. And "preferences" is greyed out???

I think I'll just keep using QuickTime for quick plays of mp3s.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Eh, didn't care for Cog. I associated my mp3s with Cog, and when I double click an mp3, Cog opens but doesn't play?? I have to hit play manually. Not cool. And "preferences" is greyed out???

I think I'll just keep using QuickTime for quick plays of mp3s.

Preferences worked here with the 0.06 version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.