How can I see if my ibook can see my CDROM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g3 500mhz 128mb 10gb
My Ibook is not loading any cds. It starts to spin, but then quits. The cd icon doesn't show up.
If my ibook recognized the drive, would I be able to see it in Disk Utility? There isn't anything about CDROM in the hardware section of System Profiler. Anywhere else to look?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Ibook is not loading any cds. It starts to spin, but then quits. The cd icon doesn't show up.
If my ibook recognized the drive, would I be able to see it in Disk Utility? There isn't anything about CDROM in the hardware section of System Profiler. Anywhere else to look?

Are you running OSX? In About This Mac and More Info check under ATA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
:My iBook is doing the exact same thing. I was told to "jump start the P-RAM"???? Not too sure whatt that's all about. Could it be fixed by adjusting my permissions in the disk utility??

OP
acros1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g3 500mhz 128mb 10gb
Running Tiger. It all start when I tried to upgrade to a slot loading cd-rw drive. I got a kernel panic, so put back in original cdrom. Still had kernel panic, so fixed using target mode with IMac at work and disk utility. But now cdrom doesn't work. Bought a new cd-rw that is specific for the G3, and that doesn't work either. I know it's not the drive. ATA only shows harddrive.
I tried using the IMac in target mode to reinstall the original OS X, but the IMac won't boot off of the cds.. not sure if the cds are meant to work only with my ibook.
I think it has to be either a fault cable or I just need a clean install of OS X.
I've tried resetting my pram. (you can try that by following these steps:

1.Shut down the computer.
2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. 3.You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
4.Turn on the computer.
5.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
6.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
7.Release the keys

that didn't work for me.
you can try some tips suggest in the apple.com forum
Nothing worked for me, but I'm fairly certain it's not the drive, because I've got two different ones to test, and neither work.

Not sure about adjusting disk permissions, but I already tried repairing mine and it didn't have any affect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.