Macbook doesnt recognize ethernet port?

Reaction score
My MacBook quit recognizing that I have an ethernet port. If I plug in a cable, it does nothing. If I open network preferences, it just lists my Airport and my VPN connection. If I select "show built-in ethernet" it still does not work properly and will not display any informaton. Help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Have you tried plugging it into another network to make sure it's definitely the adapter in your MacBook and not the network? Did you try a different ethernet cable?

When you say you select "show built-in Ethernet" and "it still does not work properly" exactly what are you seeing? If you see an Ethernet ID, that means your card is most likely okay and your network (hardware) connection is bad.

You may also want to check the pins inside the ethernet jack on the MacBook to make sure none of them are bent or broken.

Reaction score
i had this problem a few months ago. They told me it was because I always left it sitting on my bed and it made the port kind of screwey...but yeah when my ethernet port didnt work...my airport did.

My advice to you is to either get a wireless router, or take it back to the store and they will easily replace the part for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
The problem occurs on any type of network I plug it into. When I go to the "show built-in ethernet" it shows the settings, but wont show it pulling an IP address. Also if I force a renew it wont work.

My MacBook was also never left on a bed, it is 99.9% of the time on a cooling station

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PowerBook, White MacBook, 17" iMac
I bought a MacBook a few days ago and I had the same problem with the Ethernet connection. Airport works fine but the in Network Utilities the link status says "Inactive" when i plug the cable in. I tried changing the cable but it works on my PowerBook and the iMac. So i figured it was a software issue. I erased and reinstalled Tiger with no luck. Yesterday, I took it back to the store and they gave me a brand new one. Took the 2nd brand new one out of the box and guess what.. no Ethernet connection!??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.