shared itunes among all iMac users

Reaction score
okay -- I want to share the iTunes across all 4 users on the family iMac (mom, dad, son, daughter). Having searched this forum and found directions, I put the "real" iTunes folders/files on the Shared folder, and made aliases for each individual user's iTunes folder. So far so good.

Problem is that when anyone but me opens iTunes on their user id, they get a message saying that iTunes library cannot be saved. I have made triple certain that the files in the Shared folder are all set to read/write by Everyone.

Anybody have a clue on this? Everyone can use the iTunes, but it's a pain that this warning pops up. And if anyone but me creates a Smartlist, it won't get saved.

BTW, both mom and dad (me) have admin privileges; the kids do not. But even mom has this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
why dont u drag all of the music files into each users drop box under the 'users' panel in finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
In Terminal, create a symbolic link to the shared folder - instead of using Finder to create an alias.

For each user:

$ cd /Users/User1/Music/iTunes
$ ln -sfv "/Users/YOU/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library"

YOUR iTunes Library will be the source. Everyone else will access it.

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
why dont u drag all of the music files into each users drop box under the 'users' panel in finder?

this would create 4 copies of the 20+gig music files, no? Plus, I want the "shared library" to update whenever any user adds a new song or CD.

Reaction score
this would create 4 copies of the 20+gig music files, no?

Note the "s" flag in the ln command. It creates a soft, not hard, link and performs no copying. Anyone who accesses that link will see the latest songs located in the original folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.