Chinese writing on DVD viewer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
which dvd are you trying to play?

Reaction score
i get that too. I was watching a US version of pirates of the cara. 2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never seen that with and been playing DVD's with DVD player in OSX for years now. That is supposed to be the DVD's name. Like the 2nd poster asked, what DVD is this?

Reaction score
ive also seen this on pirates of the carb 2 and some other movies, all are US NTSC movies, not some chinese bootleg..not sure why this happens but no big deal for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
kinda trivial, but that's more Japanese. I can't read the kanji, but I know the character in the brackets (which don't actually mean anything by themselves - it's basically a sound, with no real meaning). I'll check with my GF to see if she could translate the rest for me to see if there's any significance - I doubt there is, but I'm curious anyway.

There was a topic just like this some months ago, but I can't remember now the solution that was given. Give it a quick search and see what you can dig up ;)

I'll get back later tonight if I can get a translation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here is the previous thread on this - had no solution. I still run into this on occasion. Just to check it out again, of the 4 DVD's I have from Netflix right now, Deja Vu displays the title in Japanese. It has never affected anything other than the title bar in DVD player so I haven't really been too concerned about it.

Have already tried all the different settings in Preferences and have not found one that had any effect.

Checked out my Pirates of the Carib. - "Curse of the Black Pearl" displays in English while "Dead Man's Chest" displays in Japanese.

Here is a screen shot of DVD Player for those that may be wondering.

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.