Running hot, when to worry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
As we all know, when we start doing processor intensive applications, our macs start running pretty hot. My question is should we ever worry about how hot our macs are running? I know they are designed to be used, and they have fans, etc., but is there a point when it might be necessary to let the MBP cool down a little bit? Here is a snapshot of my processor/heatsink's temperatures (the CPU was fluctuating back and forth from 175 to 180):

cputempsiq0.jpg

I'm not really concerned about these temps, but I was curious if anyone knew more than I did.

Reaction score
When the palm rests get so hot to touch, I close the lid and let it sleep for a few hours.

The bad part is the dorms get so hot, that the MBP get's even hotter and I have to let it cool down so I can touch the palm rests.

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When the palm rests get so hot to touch, I close the lid and let it sleep for a few hours.

The bad part is the dorms get so hot, that the MBP get's even hotter and I have to let it cool down so I can touch the palm rests.

For sure high ambient temps aren't going to help matters at all. Any idea how high you've seen your CPU temps?

Reaction score
For sure high ambient temps aren't going to help matters at all. Any idea how high you've seen your CPU temps?

The highest is around 160 to 170F. If/when it hits the 160 mark I usually back away and let it cool. It usually only gets that hot when I am running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Indesign or other big programs like that.

It's 9:30 AM and I am running at 140F already.

Reaction score
this heat issue makes me wonder if apple will ever address it somehow. i use my mbp for a lot of video editing which it very processor and memory intensive process. i would like to continue working without having have to worry about high temps and needing to pause and let it cool off. just a thought on the heat issue.

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i also found this interesting article on what could cause the high temps.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2006/05/23/thermal-paste-question.html

That is interesting, but I don't think I'll be doing anything that drastic. The heat doesn't really bother me because I realize my computer is blazing fast and when running memory-intensive applications it would be stupid to expect it not to heat up.

Anyone know if there is a point to actually worry about the computer (not my legs) being too hot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
heat issue

the heat issue is a problem for all laptops that possess the capabilities of the MBP if you look at the dell xps it has some of the same heating issues. Especially when playing video games on that "behemoth".... the heat issue is a problem for all laptops with such hardware advances. It is a necessary evil for having the abilities that the MBP has, you can always buy a cooling plate to replace your bottom cover, which will greatly help to ventilate the excess heat build up and cool down the system.

---

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.