.mac - for windows users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks. I've heard about .mac and how convenient it is to share photos and videos to family.

my question is - will my parents, who are windows users, be able to access and interact with my .mac webpage? an other stuff like photocast etc...

M

MacHeadCase

Yes the output is multi-platform. A webpage, for Apple, is a webpage meaning it should be viewed by all. Like your images saved for the web will be .jpg or .gif so that is multi-platform. .Mac webpages are written in HTML. I have a .Mac account and have sent my links repeatedly to Windoze friends. All is well. :)

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's great, now I'll definitely sign up for the free trial at the least and see how it goes from there.

Right now I have accounts in multiply and friendster which essentially does the same, but for free. I'll have to experience .mac first hand before I can actually decide if it's worth the $100 fee per year.

Thanks!

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacHeadCase,

sorry if this is out of topic, but who's the woman in your avatar? she looks familiar, kinda looks like the lead actress in the old movie "9 to 5" (with dolly parton) (^_^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
that's great, now I'll definitely sign up for the free trial at the least and see how it goes from there.

Right now I have accounts in multiply and friendster which essentially does the same, but for free. I'll have to experience .mac first hand before I can actually decide if it's worth the $100 fee per year.

Thanks!

It may take a little more research if you've never done it, but you can purchase a domain and webhosting for about $50 a year. I have a domain and a webhosting deal that I pay about $75 a year for and I get 5gb of storage, 50gb a month bandwith, the ability to install chat, forums, blog, photo gallery or any other template the company can provide. You can also setup ftp for yourself or for others if you choose. It's a lot cheaper to get and you have more storage than .mac, you just have to learn a little bit more about the web.

M

MacHeadCase

MacHeadCase,

sorry if this is out of topic, but who's the woman in your avatar? she looks familiar, kinda looks like the lead actress in the old movie "9 to 5" (with dolly parton) (^_^)

Lily Tomlin playing the Ernestine character. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks. I've heard about .mac and how convenient it is to share photos and videos to family.

my question is - will my parents, who are windows users, be able to access and interact with my .mac webpage? an other stuff like photocast etc...

Photocasting is an iPhoto only function. I used .Mac for a while to share pictures with my family (Windows) without any problem, they (Windows users) can acces the iDrive too with software provided by Apple.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may take a little more research if you've never done it, but you can purchase a domain and webhosting for about $50 a year. I have a domain and a webhosting deal that I pay about $75 a year for and I get 5gb of storage, 50gb a month bandwith, the ability to install chat, forums, blog, photo gallery or any other template the company can provide. You can also setup ftp for yourself or for others if you choose. It's a lot cheaper to get and you have more storage than .mac, you just have to learn a little bit more about the web.

I'll look into this :D thanks!

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes (^__^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

Thanks!

The price fluctuates but heres .Mac for 80 bucks from Amazon. Keep looking though. I think I got mine for under $70. Oh and welcome here! .Mac4$80 W/ the money you save you can buy me a cup of tea next time you're in Louisville, KY:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.