• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Borrowed clips always missing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Yep, me again!

This has happened before but I've let it go, this time I can't.

I have almost finished a music video tribute to all the colleagues I worked with and 99% of the clips I imported directly from cassette/camera, however I also took about 6 clips from a previous project on a HD by dragging them onto the desktop, quitting movie, ejecting HD, re-loading movie on my current project then dragging them into the clips pane and integrating them where desired.

This works fine until I quit for lunch and re-open later. As the project loads I get the usual box asking me if I want to view trash but before that I get a box telling me that

A PROJECT FILE IS MISSING:

The file “****_1” couldn’t be opened and is being skipped. Click “Ignore All” to skip any remaining missing file messages.

Then the same to any other clips I imported from elsewhere. Have tried it again and reloading etc... Strangely enough I see a glimpse of the clips I wanted as it keeps the transition tabs!

Does this sound familiar and is there a solution?

Where are ya Pulse old buddy?!! :)

Reaction score
Is the missing project file or files the ones that came from the ext HD?

Once you added these 6 other clips, did you preview them once integrated into your project?

PS. I've been watching a movie I taped using my EyeTV device ... it's a Arnie classic ...

Reaction score
EyeTV is digital terrestrial tv. It's a USB stick that receives the free to air tv here is Aust.

Carnivology-Binhead is fantastic! Love it to bits. Great visually and musically!

So you added the clips and they played in iMovie without hitch. Then you saved the project and when you returned to it ... the "imported 6" were gone? Or still there but unplayable .... What if you drag them back to the section to the right of the viewing pane? Can you upload a screenie?

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Sounds interesting, thankyou and yes they played without a hitch, then saved, quitted and re-loaded and the "Imported six" (I like that) were gone but it did tell me that as it was loading that one was missing and unless I clicked 'ignore all' it would say and this clip and all the others were also missing, which they were. Gone from timeline and viewing pane also.

A screenie, Pulse?

I've gotta have dinner but I'll be back!

Reaction score
OK, have you checked iMovie Trash (Shift + Command + T)?

So, the 'Imported 6' have vanished in a Twighlight Zone fashion ...?

I really don't know what to say about this Cam .... you've done everything in the correct manner and despite this - the clips have vanished. So there's no real point in uploading a screenshot.

It looks like you need to re-import the '6' again, BUT THIS TIME .... when they are sitting in the Clips Pane and you are ready to drag them to the Timeline .... please promise me you'll press the Option key and copy them to the Timeline instead. This way you will always have the originals intact should the same thing happen again. See my attached image.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
The duplicate clips are still on the desktop, here's a screenshot (don't know how to thumbnail it, it's a miracle I've managed a screenshot) but notice the highlighted transition tab showing up on the main screen.

I re-loaded two of the clips, pressed the 'Option' key next to the Apple key but nothing happened. Didn't see any option option in the drop downs.

SCREENSHOT.png

Reaction score
When you press the Option key while dragging a clip you copy it. So it stays in the Clips Pane and appears on the Timeline.

Where you have more than one Transition in a row, is that where clips have dissappeared? I'm not sure what the significance of the highlighted Transition is.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Where you have more than one Transition in a row, is that where clips have dissappeared?

Not the entire clip, just the fraction taken up by the transition, so the three tabs when played are simply a rapid glimpse of three would be clips that bridge between two 'normal' clips.

I'll try the Option thing again and get back to you.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
No, didn't make any difference. Apples are wonderful machines but I think they should think twice before using 'It just works' as a slogan.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
UPDATE:

I solved the problem short term by simply not quitting until not only had I completed the project, but uploaded it to YouTube and burned a DVD.

It was saved many times and as I predicted, when re-loaded the two borrowed clips are absent and everything is a few seconds out of time with the music.

Do mission accomplished but problem still there - the mystery continues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.