85W power adapter problem

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Macbook Pro, a little over a year old. The external power adapter no longer works, and seems to be due to a break in the wire near the adapter end. Clearly this should be easy to fix but I cannot see how to break into the adapter to make a repair! Is there an easy method to get into it without destroying it?

many thanks,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would suggest getting a replacement from Apple instead of messing around with it on your own. For starters, Apple will most likely give you a free replacement. Second, messing with it yourself will result in voiding the warranty, and thus getting rid of the whole free thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
make sure if you are going to fix it yourself to have it plugged in too!

haha, DONT DO THAT.

why would you even bother trying to fix it yourself? its not one of those things

OP
S
Reaction score
Apple will not replace the thing under warranty.

Couldn't undo the power supply - glued firmly in place.

Yesterday I removed the rubber plug around the wire at the power adapter (with a screwdriver and cutters) and saw that the ground wire was indeed broken. A little solder and a bit of tape around the repair and all is now good in the world!

cheers

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean Apple wouldn't replace it under warranty? It's a result of faulty manufacturing, they are compelled under their warranty to replace it for you. You can't take no for an answer, be persistent.

Though now that you've cracked it open and soldered it yourself, your bargaining position has sort of eroded away....

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry - what I meant to say was that the machine is out of warranty so Apple will not replace it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok, that makes more sense :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.