Heat issue went away...then came back

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 15", 2.33ghz, latest updates, 3 months old

So when I first got the MBP I had some concerns about the heat like most people. I installed Fan Control, set the base speed to 2000 rpm, lower temp to 48 and the upper temp to 70...heat issue was basically solved, with the thing usually sitting between 35 and 49 degrees C.

SuperDrive was behaving horribly so I got it replaced at the Apple Store and then reinstalled Mac OS X just to be safe.

With the new install, and all updates, and Fan Control, the heat issue has sort of come back. The thing CONSTANTLY runs at 50 degrees C minimum, usually around 55, with just a browser window open. Could it have something to do with the background programs or startup items?

When I'm playing games or using Parallels it shoots up to 70-75 degrees C.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MacBook Pro 15", 2.33ghz, latest updates, 3 months old

So when I first got the MBP I had some concerns about the heat like most people. I installed Fan Control, set the base speed to 2000 rpm, lower temp to 48 and the upper temp to 70...heat issue was basically solved, with the thing usually sitting between 35 and 49 degrees C.

SuperDrive was behaving horribly so I got it replaced at the Apple Store and then reinstalled Mac OS X just to be safe.

With the new install, and all updates, and Fan Control, the heat issue has sort of come back. The thing CONSTANTLY runs at 50 degrees C minimum, usually around 55, with just a browser window open. Could it have something to do with the background programs or startup items?

When I'm playing games or using Parallels it shoots up to 70-75 degrees C.

I would say that your problem is ironically, related to Fan Control. My MBP runs cool most of the time, unless I'm running a particularly intensive program like a game, Parallels or a heavy-hitter app like Photoshop. The MBP has its own thermostats and is designed to keep itself cool. By running Fan Control, you're basically subverting the Mac's own internal mechanisms. That might be a good thing if you want to keep the fan at full speed all the time, but for casual use, there should be no reason to run Fan Control. If your MBP runs unusually hot without it, you've got a hardware problem that you're just masking.

Also, keep in mind that modern notebooks are not designed to be used on your lap (hence the reason that most manufacturers have stopped using the term "laptop"). It should be used on a smooth, flat surface to allow the case to efficiently act as a heat sink as it was designed to do.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply cwa.

So...although I am still not pleased with the intermittence of the heat problem...I got rid of Fan Control and have been monitoring the CPU heat and fan speed with the Apple defaults.

First I shut down the notebook and let it cool to room temperature, even put it in front of a fan for a few minutes. When I booted into Mac I checked the stats with the iStat Pro widget.

CPU temp was 45 degrees C with fans at 2000rpm

I let the notebook sit there doing nothing for about 5 minutes, during which the notebook CPU temp increased to 49 degrees C. (Note: the GPU and GPU heatsink were also slowly increasing in temperature as well)

I opened up one browser window in Firefox, and the CPU temp has increased to between 51 and 53 degrees C with the fans still staying around 2000 rpm.

Bottom of the notebook has gotten a bit warmer. Before I did the whole OS reinstall and was using Fan Control, my notebook was almost always suitable for lap use, even while playing World of Warcraft. Now, it seems, adding anything to the CPU workload will put it over the "edge" so to speak, the edge being between where the laptop is moderately warm and where it is uncomfortably warm.

Would it be possible for anyone to post their MBP's typical temperature with or without fan apps?

UPDATE: installing a game from CD increases temp to 79 degrees C. Not playing the game, just installing. The GPU and heatsinks have increased as well.

Reaction score
hey there!!

well im new in this forum but i have a mbp too and i just purchased it last december so im kinda new with mac...ok the temperature problems that ur having i believe most mbp are like that?! im not sure i got this information from my magazine subscription macworld well you should check out this link maybe it can help you a bit http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/mbtemps/index.php and i also notice there's an application that they said can make ur mbp runs cooler its on that link too if u missed it its www.coolbook.se well i hope that helps a little im sure worrying about how hot my mbp gets when im using it and the funny thing is that im using it on a flat table.....mine runs about 138 Fahrenheit most of the time with safari open, itunes, and windows messenger these three apps are most likely on most of the time on my mbp! well i hope that helps! :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi ridge,

I don't want to use that CoolBook app...I don't think it's a good idea to mess witrh CPU voltage.

That article was informative...

My problem is that my notebook USED to be cooler before the OS reinstall and battery firmware update. I know my temps seem to be normal...it's just that I used to be able to use my MBP on my lap and now I can't.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply cwa.

So...although I am still not pleased with the intermittence of the heat problem...I got rid of Fan Control and have been monitoring the CPU heat and fan speed with the Apple defaults.

First I shut down the notebook and let it cool to room temperature, even put it in front of a fan for a few minutes. When I booted into Mac I checked the stats with the iStat Pro widget.

CPU temp was 45 degrees C with fans at 2000rpm

I let the notebook sit there doing nothing for about 5 minutes, during which the notebook CPU temp increased to 49 degrees C. (Note: the GPU and GPU heatsink were also slowly increasing in temperature as well)

I opened up one browser window in Firefox, and the CPU temp has increased to between 51 and 53 degrees C with the fans still staying around 2000 rpm.

Bottom of the notebook has gotten a bit warmer. Before I did the whole OS reinstall and was using Fan Control, my notebook was almost always suitable for lap use, even while playing World of Warcraft. Now, it seems, adding anything to the CPU workload will put it over the "edge" so to speak, the edge being between where the laptop is moderately warm and where it is uncomfortably warm.

Would it be possible for anyone to post their MBP's typical temperature with or without fan apps?

UPDATE: installing a game from CD increases temp to 79 degrees C. Not playing the game, just installing. The GPU and heatsinks have increased as well.

IMO, something isn't right from a hardware perspective. Would you believe me if I told you that in the 4 months I've owned my MBP, I don't believe I've ever heard the fan kick on? I've never even had the urge to measure the CPU temp, because the thing runs just a bit over room temperature (on the outside of the case) most of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
IMO, something isn't right from a hardware perspective. Would you believe me if I told you that in the 4 months I've owned my MBP, I don't believe I've ever heard the fan kick on? I've never even had the urge to measure the CPU temp, because the thing runs just a bit over room temperature (on the outside of the case) most of the time.

4months and no fan? i heard mine the first day :) of course i was doing encoding.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4months and no fan? i heard mine the first day :) of course i was doing encoding.

Maybe mine is just incredibly quiet, but I've never noticed it. I can count on one hand the number of times I've felt the machine was running hot to the touch.

I don't doubt that my situation is atypical, but am just relaying my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.