hard drive help

Reaction score
i have a 500 gb mybook in fat32 format, i want to download files over 4 gb and store them here. I am backing up everything from this drive right now. What do i need to do not have the 4 gb limit?

OP
S
Reaction score
i dont need it to be readable on a pc either just need to know what to convert it to and how so i can download and transfer files over.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is that an external HD?

if so, and it's partitioned, make at least one of those partitions HFS+ (mac filesystem).

OP
S
Reaction score
ok so how do i do that? I deleted everything off of it? Its a 500 gb mybook external. I just want it to work like my normal internal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
You have to format your drive to HFS+ (Mac file system). You will be able to do it through disk utility (it's in you applications/utilities folder.)

Select your external drive, select erase (you can choose if you want to partition it), click the erase button, select the file system, and go for it.

Just remember: doing that, you'll erase and format your HDD, it means losing your data already there. Besides, it won't be read by windows (unless you install a 3rd part software to do so)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Yes, Read and write! I've sent you a PM!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.