POSIX Error 13

Reaction score
Each time I try to add an attachment to, or download an attachment from, my Yahoo e-mail account, I receive the following error message from Safari:

"Safari can’t open the page 'http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us [remainder of URL]'. The error was: 'POSIX error: Permission denied' (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message".

I receive similar error messages with other browsers. I am able to browse the Web, run Apple's software update, and the like, otherwise.

I have repaired permissions, and created and tested this problem with a new user account, and the problem persists. Please advise. Thank you very much.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Carnamagos.

I've briefly googled up the error message and it seems that this could happen because of blocking software like NetBarrier, LittleSnitch, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Are you surfing through a proxy or a router?

OP
C
Reaction score
MacHeadCase:

Thanks for the welcome, and for your response. I am using the NetBarrierX4 firewall, but that does not seem to be the cause of the problem. When I have NetBarrier turned off, or when I am in a different user mode, one in which Netbarrier is not installed, the same error appears.

giulio:

No, I am not behind a proxy or a router.

M

MacHeadCase

From what I've seen, it would seem like some IP addresses stay blocked. I have no clue where you should look for this stuff though but thought that if I posted this, it might send you on a winning tangent. ;D

Reaction score
Hi carnamagos,

Could you do me a favour and check something out, even it it sounds far-fetched?

I want you to check whether “NetBarrier” has possibly registered the site in the “Block-list”.

If this is the case - you will need to add the IP of the site to the “Trusted Zone” or whatever NetBarrier calls it..

Also, could you try zipping the file you are having problems uploading ....

Right/Ctrl-click the file and select "Create Archive of ..... " This will create a .zip archive of the file and see if you can successfully attach this to an email.

Also have someone send you an attached .zip file and see if you can download that.

And finally.....

Go to:

YourUserAccount -> Library -> Caches.

Check whether the Safari folder in there has a little padlock on the icon, if it does, then it's locked.

This may have been done by Safari Enhancer or something else, to prevent caching and speed things up.

This will interfere with certain uploading processes.

Select the Safari folder (inside ~/Library/Caches), and hit Apple-I (Get Info). Uncheck the "Locked" checkbox.

OP
C
Reaction score
Solved

MacHeadCase:

I appreciate your reply. You were on the right track, but I was not savvy enough to move forward with your suggestion.

pulse-8:

Thank you! You are spot on regarding NetBarrier and the "stop list". I have no idea how or why it happened, but NetBarrier did, in fact, block those sites. Once I removed the blocked URLs from the list, everything began to function normally, again.

What fooled me is the fact that, even with NetBarrier off, and even when in a newly created account, without NetBarrier running, I received the same result. So, the moral of the story, for anyone who faces this problem in the future and researches this thread:

1. Check your firewall and its "stop" or "block" settings; and,

2. Realize that, once a firewall blocks you from connecting to a site, it may well have the site blocked permanently, whether the firewall is running, or not!

Thanks again to all who replied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.