Few questions regarding the Macbook

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to macs and have been a long term windows user. I have used macs before and I am thinking of getting a macbook for higher education.

A few questions about them though:

1. Is it easy to type essays on the new 'scrabble tile' keys?

2. Can it run vista aero themes when using boot camp?

3. Is it powerful enough to run visual studio 2005 when running windows?

4. Is the screen big enough for everyday use of applications such as office and visual studio?

5. Can you access windows files on your hard disk on OS X when you have boot camp running with OS X and Vista and vica versa?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Hi, I am new to macs and have been a long term windows user. I have used macs before and I am thinking of getting a macbook for higher education.

A few questions about them though:

1. Is it easy to type essays on the new 'scrabble tile' keys?

2. Can it run vista aero themes when using boot camp?

3. Is it powerful enough to run visual studio 2005 when running windows?

4. Is the screen big enough for everyday use of applications such as office and visual studio?

5. Can you access windows files on your hard disk when you dual boot to windows from OS X and vica versa?

Thanks

1. Yup, best keyboard I have ever used on a laptop
2. Yup it sure can run Aero
3. Yup it sure will http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4c26cc39(vs.80).aspx
4. I now use my MacBook for everything, the Screen is a great size the 1280x800 resolution makes it feel like a larger display
5. If you format your Windows partition in FAT32 you will be able to read and write to it from OS X, but if its NTFS you can only read from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yep, you get installation discs :)

I really like the Macbook's chiclet style keyboard. They give a great tactile feel unlike other laptops and since they're so spaced out, I don't accidentally hit other keys with my big hands. In fact, the keyboard was actually one of the deciding factors for me between a Macbook and Macbook Pro :p

Reaction score
I really like the MB's keyboard, especially for writing essays and papers...I find it hard to use a regular keyboard now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
The keyboard is different... A friend of mine hated his, and upgraded to the pro... but I love it and it seems like most people also do. It does take a little while to get used to the spacing.

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah I guess its just personal choice....

Does anyone know whether the 2ghz macbook is worth the upgrade from the 1.83ghz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
yeah I guess its just personal choice....

Does anyone know whether the 2ghz macbook is worth the upgrade from the 1.83ghz?

Upgrading to the 2ghz (or rather going with) Macbook is more worthwhile because of the bigger drive it comes with; 80gig vs. 60gig. Kind of like the 'upgrade' of the Black Macbook is more worth it not so much because of the color, but because it comes with a 120gig HDD. I'm a little jealous of the extra space my wife has on her black Macbook.

I have an Apple bluetooth external keyboard I use at home, but that's only because it's a nice keyboard and the setup works well with my home office. I have no problems with the built-in keyboard when I'm at work, however. Heck, the trackpad is just fine as well even though I also have a bluetooth Mighty Mouse (which I do take to work even if I don't take the keyboard.) I would have no problem with just the trackpad and built-in keyboard if I didn't have the externals, and in fact my wife loves the keyboard and trackpad on her Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Upgrading to the 2ghz (or rather going with) Macbook is more worthwhile because of the bigger drive it comes with; 80gig vs. 60gig. Kind of like the 'upgrade' of the Black Macbook is more worth it not so much because of the color, but because it comes with a 120gig HDD. I'm a little jealous of the extra space my wife has on her black Macbook.

I have an Apple bluetooth external keyboard I use at home, but that's only because it's a nice keyboard and the setup works well with my home office. I have no problems with the built-in keyboard when I'm at work, however. Heck, the trackpad is just fine as well even though I also have a bluetooth Mighty Mouse (which I do take to work even if I don't take the keyboard.) I would have no problem with just the trackpad and built-in keyboard if I didn't have the externals, and in fact my wife loves the keyboard and trackpad on her Macbook.

Don't forget the 2.0Ghz macbook comes with a DVD burner while the 1.83Ghz macbook is only a DVD rom - CD burner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.