Linux, OS X, XP - Looking for expert opinions.

Reaction score
I hate to have my first post be a new thread, but rest assured I have used the search feature and read lots of threads before posting!

Here is my situation. I'm in the market for a new computer for work. I am a Web designer/developer/programmer/analysist/master. Yes, I do everything from graphics to server administration. I am a huge open source fan, and have been running a sucession of Linux flavors along side Windows 2003 Server on my home computer. I consider myself an expert computer user and can figure out just about anything.

Here is a short list of what I currenetly use for what.

Linux:
  • Most Programming & Developing
  • Server Setup/Testing
  • Every day use

Windows
  • Photoshop (would change if I have OSX)
  • System Design (M$ Viseo & other tools)
  • IE 6 & 7 Testing
  • Some Programming - Not huge requirement
  • Instant Rails for when I am feeling lazy
  • Other random Windows only Aps :(

I grew up on Macs, matured on Windows, and fell in love with the open source community and linux.

If left up to me I would probibly stick with this kind of a set up. But my boss is a huge mac fan and is heavily pushing a mac. And, being the OS fan I am, I think three is better then two!

So now after all that background here is my question:
Is it possible to have the best of three worlds? I would be running dual monitors on a MacPro. I need everything to work on every OS.

What is the best way to do this?
Dual boot OSX & Linux then run Windows as a parallel?

I would like to hear what the experts have to say! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.