high % cpu when online

Reaction score
hi

if this is in the wrong place, please move it. I'm new, and I didn't read the rules before posting..

I have a MacBook, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 1.83 Intel Core Duo that does things I think it shouldn't be doing.

every time I visit pages online, like www.msn.com, www.facebook.com or www.youtube.com, my web browser eats up all my CPU.. I use mozilla and safari, but the same problem occur with both browsers. the same thing goes for opera. the problem is that the fan starts spinning at max speed. it sounds like my dear mac struggles.. what can I do to make this stop? closing the tabs (where those pages I mentioned are opened) makes the CPU drop from 80-90% CPU down to a smooth 5-6%. a HUGE difference.

also, are there any apps that I can download (for free, and legal) that can help me rid my mac of "trash"? I like things clean and neat, but I haven't had mac for more than 6 months or so. I'm a noob ;)

also, I have installed smcFanControl2 and found that my fan runs at a steady 3200-3400 rpm. is that too much? the temp is at 58 C/136 F.

thanks for any help :)

edit: and I use OSX tiger (10.4.9), if that will help you help me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i think those pages use flash. if they do, itll use some cpu, no matter what you do.

google "onyx", but read before use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
That is a little odd. I tried those sites myself and iStat didnt go over 11%. although I have 2Gb's and the 2ghz cpu MacBook.
Maybe something else is causing the trouble.
What other apps are running in the background?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
do you empty your browser cache and your user cache?
u should download MainMenu, it makes cleaning out your mac nice and easy.

OP
M
Reaction score
That is a little odd. I tried those sites myself and iStat didnt go over 11%. although I have 2Gb's and the 2ghz cpu MacBook.
Maybe something else is causing the trouble.
What other apps are running in the background?

I run itunes, msn and sometimes word. but even if I just use safari/mozilla I have the same problem. I guess sites using flash might be the problem..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.