networking for internet use - angry parent

Reaction score
hi, a few months ago i finally persuaded my dad to switch to mac promising him it would be the end of all his troubles as so many had me believe. He grudgingly accepted on the basis that i sorted out the internet, network etc - just making it work basically!

Anyway we bought a new mac mini with most of the available upgrades off the mac website, an airport extreme and a netgear modem.

After following the instructions online and from the manuals i still cant make it work so that the mac connects wirelessly to a network with the internet provided by the airport extreme. Can anyone help me???

It seems as though the mac's airport doesnt find the airport extreme despite the fact that they are next to one another. When i use the airport utility the mac sometimes finds the A.E. but sometimes doesnt and has never had an internet connection. Also the modem i am using has never had an internet light lit up - is this the problem - if so how do i fix it???

thanks
CHarlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You have internet through a Service provider right??? (Maybe your local cable company)

Did you buy a Netgear "modem" or ROUTER???

Have you connected to the web with a WIRED connection (ethernet cable)?

OP
Reaction score
i havent yet established a wired internet connection. I tried this but it didnt work i think because the modem wasnt connected to the internet (the little "E" light wasnt flashing at least).

We have a Netgear adsl2+modem dm111p.

Our service provider is BT

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i havent yet established a wired internet connection. I tried this but it didnt work i think because the modem wasnt connected to the internet (the little "E" light wasnt flashing at least).

We have a Netgear adsl2+modem dm111p.

Our service provider is BT

If your Internet Service Provider hasn't yet "provisioned" the modem, it won't matter whether you're connected to the router (in this case, the Airport Extreme) or not, you won't have Internet service. Contact BT and let them know that you have a new modem that needs to be configured. The configuration steps will vary depending on the model, but the ISP should be able to at least give you a general idea of what needs to be setup.

I'm surprised that you had to purchase your own modem, typically they are supplied by the ISP because of these kinds of problems. ISPs like to have standardized hardware so they know how to help their customers precisely through setup and troubleshooting.

OP
Reaction score
selecta!

just phoned bt and theyre sending me out a new modem
cheers
hope it works but watch this space!
xx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.