Classic Mode

XSI

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to the world of Apple Mac so please bear with me!

I have recently acquired a Apple iMac that is running Mac OS X 10.2.4. I have bought this Mac second hand as I have on piece of software that I require to run on it. This software is for use in Classis Start Up 9. The problem is I can not get my Classic Start Up 9 application to function.

It come up with an error message that reads as follows:

Classic Start Up found no system folder on the boot volume from which to start classic.
See your documentation for instructions on installing Mac OS 9.1 or later. You may search for available folders on other volumes by opening Classic preferences.

-----------

I have tried to open Classic Preferences but it does not seem to make any difference.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, XSI.

Are you sure there is a Mac OS 9 System Folder on the hard drive? Sounds like it is missing.

OP
X

XSI

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. How would I find this out and where or how would I be able to replace it?

Regards

M

MacHeadCase

If OS 9 is installed, normally double-clicking on the application that runs in OS 9 will launch the Classic shell. It's been a long time since I used OS 9 and even longer since I used Mac OS X jaguar 10.2.x! So if memory serves me right, You should see at the level of your Macintosh HD a folder called System Folderwith the OS 9 icon on it.

I know that in Panther, in the System Preferences you have an item called Startup Disk in which you can choose your OS 9 system or OS X system to boot upon startup. But in Jaguar? I guess there must be something similar...

If there isn't a choice in the Startup Disk pref pane in the System Preferences or you can't spot a System Folder, my guess is that you need to install OS 9 and that it is missing, that's why you get that error message. If this is the case, check the disks that came with the iMac if the person you bought it from has included them, the Mac OS 9 installer should be on one of the disks.

If the person did not give you the disks, try to ask for them (very valuable in case troubleshooting like this is needed). If you can't get the disks looks like you'll have to scan eBay and buy a copy from there. Just make sure it's a full installer, not an update version or a disk that came with another Mac: OS install disks are model-specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.