What makes a good photograph?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Another thing i think that really makes a good photo is

If you like i

I know i might get some stick for this post, but I feel a key point about photography (at a non pro level anyway) is about enjoying it.

If you take a photo and YOU like it then that is good enough.

Dont get me wrong, If you are doing it at a pro' level, then of course the technical ability of the photographer needs to be scrutinised that little bit more but overall, Just enjoy yourself as a photographer and from that, your photos will reflect it :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
That is absolutely right. What someone new to the hobby will do however is progress to a point where they look back to older prints of theirs and find that they do not like the images as much as they did, they will as they advance become more picky about which of their shots they consider to be of their best work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Avoiding the midday sun may prevent some bad shots. The same way your camera's flash can wash out color, the intense midday sun can mute colors and cast deep shadows, reducing warmth and detail. The best time of day for photos is either early morning or early evening. Colors are warmer and shadows are softer. I have taken some of my good photos on an overcast day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-933, PB-1.25, TiBook-1Ghz
Avoiding the midday sun may prevent some bad shots

Hard to do when shooting outdoor sports, well impossible actually. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perspective makes things interesting. A photo of a distant subject can seem one-dimensional. Incorporating objects which are nearer to you and also related to the main subject gives a sense of distance.
Also, a busy background can ruin many photos and takes away the focus.
These are not my photos, but examples of what I am trying to say.

arrange_3_275.jpg

arrange_5_275.jpg

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yes, longer focal lengths compress the objects making things appear closer together where as wide angle lens will make an object in the background appear further away than it really is. The difference between taking a shot at 28mm and 128mm makes a huge varience in the way the image looks.

Also perspective such as being lower to the ground than the eye would normally be or simply from an angle most would normally not view a subject adds an interest that may not be there from a familiar angle.

Reaction score
If you are the only person that sees your photographs, then good photographs are the ones that please you.

However, if you show your photographs to others, than the the photographs that are good are the ones that the the lion's share of your viewers say are good (or similar words to that effect) regardless of how you feel about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try someting other than the front view. You could add some interest by having people look at a differet angle or from a different angle.
Taking people's photos from lower up also adds some interest and loses some of those deep lines on their faces.
Blurring the background is common, but you could include another person who is related to the subject in the blur and make it more interesting.
For e.g. you may be taking a photo of a woman selling flowers and blurring the person behind her who is helping out.
These are just examples, not my photos.

arrange_9_275.jpg

arrange_10_180.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I was taking photos of this art which is made out of several layers of flower petals and plant materials, I positioned the camera on a tripod and framed the subject off centered. No flash was used and I positioned the art near a window, light coming from one angle only. That way I was able to capture the details of the several layers of flower petals, etc. This is the first time I have done this and I am open to any suggestions.

FlowerLandMC.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avoiding the midday sun may prevent some bad shots. The same way your camera's flash can wash out color, the intense midday sun can mute colors and cast deep shadows, reducing warmth and detail. The best time of day for photos is either early morning or early evening. Colors are warmer and shadows are softer. I have taken some of my good photos on an overcast day.

I like to add:
To prevent very light and very dark areas on sunny days, stand in a patch of shade. This will create better photos, because your camera will sense less light.
Also, using a flash in the sun will cast an even light over the subject.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
...especially if you've got a backlit subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone been really successful taking video with the camera, then selecting still shots, producing good photos?
This has to be done in daylight, no flash, with tripod.
It would be handy to record sport events.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.